Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grouse in the rain?

Just starting out

Last Online
    August 12th, 2014 @ 08:22 AM

Default Grouse in the rain?

Anyone shed some light on how grouse/woodcock hunting in the rain would go? Would they be moving/flying even?

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

Last Online
    March 11th, 2014 @ 06:41 AM

Quote Originally Posted by GSPLover View Post
    Anyone shed some light on how grouse/woodcock hunting in the rain would go? Would they be moving/flying even?
    Very good in the rain for Grouse....as for woodcock, they typically do not move during the day(fly that is)....they will relocate at first light to their hiding places in the thickets (from feeding fields) and once they re-locate to the thickets they either sit or walk around and feed there as well......so, during the day woodcock will be where you typically find them and will only fly if flushed....Grouse, I find are active during the rain and a little easier to aproach when its raining......look for Grouse in the transition zones...i:e, where a cedar thicket meets hardwood/aspen/alder or a thick bush meets younger vegetation.....I have noticed that the Grouse are changing their elevations as of late....starting to come down to the lower lying edges (I'm assuming because of the colder temps).
    "The Pointer is a superb Pointing Dog, born to serve a Gun. It will have no reason to exist when it will no longer be able to do so, or when there are no more Guns to be served."

The Woodcock: "A Prince Among Game Birds", "and its flesh is a delight to the palate of an epicure...the pretty pattern of woodland light and shades, the delicate long bill, and the big liquid eyes. An aristocrat among game birds!" AMEN.

Just starting out

Last Online
    August 12th, 2014 @ 08:22 AM

Oh good, I havent been out for grouse much before and am planning to this coming weekend. Thing is its supposed to rain the entire time. I would have thought that grouse would be less active in the rain.

Last Online

I also forgot to add that sometimes if its too wet....the dogs have a hard time scenting them....dont be surprised if its raining and really wet that your dog bumps most if not all of them....not his fault.....good luck!
    "The Pointer is a superb Pointing Dog, born to serve a Gun. It will have no reason to exist when it will no longer be able to do so, or when there are no more Guns to be served."

The Woodcock: "A Prince Among Game Birds", "and its flesh is a delight to the palate of an epicure...the pretty pattern of woodland light and shades, the delicate long bill, and the big liquid eyes. An aristocrat among game birds!" AMEN.

Borderline Spammer

Last Online
    Today @ 03:46 PM

Last year, we bagged 4 in less than couple hours, it had rained the entire day.

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 09:42 PM

In my personal experience, grouse become way more "tame" when it's raining! They don't run or flush, just walk away from you at a steady pace. Of course during these times, I always happen to be carrying a .307 rifle and can't shoot'em!
    !

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    In my personal experience, grouse become way more "tame" when it's raining! They don't run or flush, just walk away from you at a steady pace. Of course during these times, I always happen to be carrying a .307 rifle and can't shoot'em!
    !
    Of course.....you know Murphy as well eh Hawkman (Murphy's law)

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 09:42 PM

PR, I am actually better than Murphy:

- Murphy's Law: If something can go wrong, it will.
    - Hawkman's Law: If something can go wrong, many things will.
    Every Time You Catch A Fish, It's Guaranteed To Be Wet

Just starting out

Last Online
    January 16th, 2011 @ 07:54 PM

I got my first ever grouse on a rainy day. I think the rain affects their hearing making it a bit easier to sneak up on them.

Plus I kind of like going for walks in the rain.

Travelling Tackle Shop

Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 AM

My grandfather used to tell me to hunt for them after a rain and he was right. When I worked in the bush, they would come out after a rain onto the bush roads or open areas to dry off. I've also seen them roost in trees. I shot one out of a tree 15 yards from my tent on Shoofly Lake right after a rain storm.

Roe+
    A bad day hunting or fishing is better than a good day at work.

ADVERTISEMENT