Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear Gall Bladder

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Bear Gall Bladder

Does anyone no exactly why it is illegal to keep the Gall Blandder of a bear?? I know it is ilegal but why?
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Because its supposed to be an aphrodisiac there are some in the MNR who believe that bears will be shot for this particular part. Also teeth and claws fall into the same category as 'bear parts' that may encourage bears to be taken illegally.
    Even though thousands of bears are taken legally throughout Ontario possession of a gall is still illegal.
    Many still agree however that if a bear is taken legally possession of their gall should be legal-something I also agree with. Basically its a waste of a resource.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

SawBill is corect , and to further his coment , it is allso due to the fact , that at one point many guy's were poaching them and selling it on the black market over sea's for the purpose above mentioned..

A Ray
    :moose: Live for the adventure, half the fun is getting there !! :fish:

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

i read that in the regs and wondered about it but kept reading and forgot until it was just mentions. very interesting. this forum is a fountain of knowledge.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I was pretty sure it was to discourage body parts being sold by paochers, but in NS my understanding is you are allowed to keep and even sell.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I was pretty sure it was to discourage body parts being sold by paochers, but in NS my understanding is you are allowed to keep and even sell.
    can't sell wild game

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

I'm sure there's still a number of Provinces that galls can be possessed and sold legally. Manitoba used to be one of them. You can sell beaver castors but not bear galls? Only Ontario can come up with stuff like this.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beatty brown View Post
    can't sell wild game
    In NS you can sell the Gall Bladder. You can also still snare bears.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/hunt/regul...tingRegs_C.pdf

Export
    The following may serve as your export permit for the game
    legally taken under that licence:
    (a) Your Resident or Non-Resident Deer Hunting licence and
    Deer Hunting Tag (upon proof of registration)
    (b) Your Resident or Non-Resident Bear Hunting licence
    (c) Your Non-Resident Small Game Hunting licence
    In order to export bears or bear parts out of Canada, you may
    require a CITES Export Permit (Convention on International
    Trade of Endangered Species). Contact your local Department of
    Natural Resources for further information.
    A bear gallbladder must be permanently sealed by
    Department of Natural Resources (DNR) prior to sale or
    export. The locking seal must be permanently attached
    to the bear gallbladder. The gallbladder must be
    presented to a DNR office in order to be sealed

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Bear gall bladders are a part of traditional Chinese medicine and not isolated as an aphrodisiac. Black market gall bladders' can bring up to $10,000.
    Whitetail habitat junkie

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

As Wade mentioned, it's a huge underground market with the Asians. Over in BC, poaching of black bears is still a huge problem. Obviously for 2 reasons, the large Asian population in BC and being on the Pacific coast so its easy to ship them over seas. The law was put into place in an effort to curb the waste of bears being havested for the sole purpose of its gall bladder. Naturally people still kill them anyway for it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast