Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting the Beverly Swamp?

Loyal Member

Last Online
    Today @ 11:50 AM

Default Hunting the Beverly Swamp?

I really want to get into waterfowling this fall, so I thought I better get started with scouting before it's too late.
    Based on the little bit of driving around and canoing I did so far, the obvious spots close to the GTA don't appear to be the safest place on earth; at least on duck opener...
    As I have only a canoe, but no motor boat nor dog, I thought the more complex swamps would be a good idea to get away from the crowds.
    Is hunting in the Beverly Swamp (Hamilton) allowed, and if so, are there any additional considerations?
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated, too - not asking anyone to tell me their honey hole, but some advice on locations worth considering for duck hunting from a canoe would be great.

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

Last Online
    October 26th, 2014 @ 11:00 AM

Recreational activities include fishing, hunting, trapping, bird watching, snowmobiling and horseback riding.
    Taken from here: http://www.carolinian.org/Carolinian...verlySwamp.htm
    Call to Grand River Conservation Authority for more details.

Loyal Member

Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM

Waftrudnir,
    Beverly is not the safest spot either, tons of hunting pressure and not a lot of duck opportunities. I'll send you a PM.

RB
    Last edited by Redbull; May 28th, 2011 at 09:34 AM.

Has too much time on their hands

Last Online
    Today @ 11:12 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Waftrudnir View Post
    Based on the little bit of driving around and canoing I did so far, the obvious spots close to the GTA don't appear to be the safest place on earth; at least on duck opener...
    This is very true. But, wait a few weeks after the opener, and start hunting the marshes. After what happened to us at Luther on opening morning last year, with other guys moving in on our spot and being charged for multiple things, I won't hunt a public marsh on opening day ever again. Believe me, it's totally different after this. All the yahoos go back to the metropolis motherland. Try to get out on days throughout the week if ya can, and if not, be there early to ensure your spot on the weekend. Hullett, and Luther are excellent areas for new hunters to get on the board, but are limited in success.

Private property is always going to be the best bet for the least hunting pressure, but if you do your homework you can still have a good shoot.

Nick
    Last edited by Sprite; May 28th, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Loyal Member

Last Online

Thanks guys for the help!
    Something I was wondering, especially when we talk about public land:
    How do you retrieve your birds? I intended to paddle out and pick them up (no dog). However, I'm not sure if that's all that great of an idea. Just imagining a new flock comes in when I'm out in the landing zone - and hell breaks loose...
    How long can you let them floating around, before they seem to go missing?

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 PM

Thanks guys for the help!
    Something I was wondering, especially when we talk about public land:
    How do you retrieve your birds? I intended to paddle out and pick them up (no dog). However, I'm not sure if that's all that great of an idea. Just imagining a new flock comes in when I'm out in the landing zone - and hell breaks loose...
    How long can you let them floating around, before they seem to go missing?
    You can easily retrieve with a canoe, however if you wound a bird or it goes sailing far than you have some work to do. It is easier to find spots that you can wade out to get your birds, but at public places these spots are the first to go or often require a lot of work to get to. you definitley want waders and might want to invest in a net or stick of some sort to make picking up the birds easier. it can double as a decoy retrieving stick too.

one thing you will learn is that without a dog you must be very selective of your shots and ensure the bird will fall on water or somewhere else where you can easily keep an eye on it. If you down a bird over grass or reeds, even if it is dead you will have a lot of trouble finding it. if you injure a duck over grass you will never find it.

dont worry if a flock comes in, as you can shoot out of your canoe, and other hunters shouldnt be close enough (or dumb enough) to shoot at you if a flock comes in. you'd be surprised how many flocks come in when you are out in your dekes, especially if you are just wading.

I have spent the last few years using a canoe or wading to get birds, and though it works I really want to get a dog, but dont have the money or time right now. It is a lot of work retrieving without a dog, but it is worth it still if you cannot get a dog.
    My name is BOWJ..... and I am a waterfowl addict!

Loyal Member

Last Online

Yes, the waders are still on my list.
    What type / how much insulation do you guys mostly wear?
    Well, I can only afford one pair right now and it should do pretty much for the entire season.

Member for Life

Last Online

Yes, the waders are still on my list.
    What type / how much insulation do you guys mostly wear?
    Well, I can only afford one pair right now and it should do pretty much for the entire season.
    I have used breathable waders for the past 3 seasons and have been fine right up to January, but you must have enough room in them to be able to layer up underneath in the late season. Other guys are going to chime in and swear to neoprenes, but I prefer breathable, because I use them in the summer, I sweat a lot and I only wanted one pair as well. in fact I am heading out on the river this afternoon with them to see if theres anymore trout left.

3 & 5mm neoprenes seem to be the most popular, but I dont know much about them. my buddy just got a pair of 3mm at Canadian tire for under $100 on sale and they seem to be everything you need. mine were 179 or so at cabelas and I have no compliants and cabelas warranties are unbeatable. http://www.cabelas.com/mens-hunting-waders-cabelas-dry-breathable-hunting-chest-waders-150-regular-4.shtml

IMO waders are a must for waterfowl hunting (except in fields). you will not regret getting a good pair. good luck out there and be safe.

Member for Life

Last Online

forgot to mention that if you want to stalk or sneak up on ducks in the winter or late fall breathables are not stealthy. they crunch a lot in the cold.

Has too much time on their hands

Last Online
    Today @ 11:12 AM

For waterfowl hunting, I think neoprene waders are the BEST. Our early season here isn't usually that bad, so a pair of shorts under the waders and a t-shirt are fine. I bought my 5mm booted neoprenes at Bass Pro a couple years ago, with 800 grams of thinsulate in the boots. In the dead of winter, with -20 C temperatures, all I wear is a pair of jeans under them, and 2 pairs of socks. They're extremely warm, and they stay tighter to your body, which I find makes walking longer distances into secluded spots MUCH easier. I hate having to layer up under waders, as it's not always comfortable. Another problem with breathables is if you're walking through the bush, they do rip easily on sticks and twigs. A thicker neoprene would hold up better.

Just my .02!
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

ADVERTISEMENT