Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22.250 vs 243 same ballistics???

Post-a-holic

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:21 PM

Default 22.250 vs 243 same ballistics???

I'm going to buy a 243 Win for coyotes but just to be sure of my choose yesterday I was looking the ballistics chart of Hornady ammo. And I was really surprise to see that the 243Win 58gr has almost (+/- .2") the same trajectory as the 22.250 50gr. The only difference was the 22.250 goes 30fps faster at the muzzle and same speed at 500 yards (no big deal here) and the 243. almost 200 ft/lb more energy at the muzzle (great!!!) and that's it. I know the weights are different but that 58gr was the lightest load I could find. 8gr more will be better on a windy day anyway.

So my question is, is that true? I was sure the 22.250 would have a much better trajectory so maybe I missing something here.
    Is that make the 243 Win the best trajectory caliber after the 204 Ruger? And is the .223 caliber a better caliber for coyotes because the ammo are cheaper and does less damage on the fur.

Thanks
    Seabast.

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

Last Online
    December 18th, 2014 @ 09:43 AM

If you download "Remington Shoot" you can get charts for any loads available from remington and compare graphs.

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:20 PM

Cost of shell, powder charge and report all have something to do with it.

I have a .222 Rem and my uncle has a .243, the .222 Rem is a lot nicer for ground hogs around farms than the .243 simply because of noise.

If you can only get one, grab the .243 and use it for small game and deer, I have been told they are much better for coyotes anyway and with the proper bullets don't do much more damage to the pelt, but I have not shot any coyotes, just ground hogs.

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 AM

Sorry I can't comment with much valuable knowledge. All I can say is that when I bought my coyote gun, I did a lot of research and the general consensus went towards the .22-250 so that's what I bought....
    I like to Kill things...

Just starting out

Last Online
    April 17th, 2012 @ 07:58 PM

seabast,

The 243 is a versatile cartridge for Southern Ontario because you can use it for more than one species. With heavier bullets, it is an excellent deer rifle, with lighter bullets you can use it for hogs and coyotes. If you reload (and you should) you will realize the great potential of this inherently accurate cartridge. I reload for a 22-250 and the heaviest bullets that I can stabilize in a 1 in 12 twist barrel is 55grs. Great for hogs and dogs, but way out of the league for deer.

Finigun

Loyal Member

Last Online
    September 10th, 2012 @ 01:35 PM

"Is that make the 243 Win the best trajectory caliber after the 204 Ruger? And is the .223 caliber a better caliber for coyotes because the ammo are cheaper and does less damage on the fur."

best trajectory calibers have a lot of unseen expenses/issues.
    obviously they will recoil more, in 22 or 24 caliber cartridges it wont be a big deal.
    there is the barrel heat, not a big deal for hunting but at the target range it really sucks(making practice slow and boring).
    there is barrel life, most likely niether of your choices will last 30% of what a 223 rem will last(expect no more than 2000 from the 22-250 & 3000 from the 243, you might get more but dont expect it).
    asuming you will "use" the trajectory advantage of the high speed cartridges, means you will be shooting further than 200 yards, around 300 the wind starts to really mess up groups and is more of an issue than dealing with the drop of the bullet.
    these are the things i learned AFTER purchasing a 22-250, might be helpfull to think about them before deciding which chambering is best for your wants/needs.
    the 223 rem is a very good choice for coyote if you can hit them where you are supposed to. both the other choices you mentioned have the potential to hit a bit harder but still need carefull aim.
    also you will want to consider barrel twist and length. twist will determin which bullets your gun can shoot accuratly and which ones it wont. barrel length will go a long way to improving balistics, especially with hot cartridges like the 243 and 22-250. 24 inch is ok, 26 inch is better! 28 to 30 can get a lot of extra velocity(if you plan to set up for longer shots, the longer barrel should not get in your way)

Loyal Member

Last Online
    September 10th, 2012 @ 01:35 PM

one more thing, in case you plan to reload, as mentioned above the 22-250 could not be easier to load for(in my experiance with just one rifle)
    every load i have tried,6 factory, handloads with 3 different bullets, at least a dozen charge rates with H-380(remeber that one if u decide to handload) all consistantly hit a 2 inch bull at 200 yards and hit that same bull at 100 too with no scope adjustment(if i lay of the coffee).
    i have a 1-14 twist and get the same point of aim(hits the bull) with 35 to 64(win pp) grain bullets out to 200 yards, this is very usefull as i allways have a choice of specialized projectiles for what i will use them for. odd thing is i have yet to match the most accurate factory load(also the cheapest?45 grain winchester)
    consider getting your trigger modified by a GS or getting a replacement, it has improved my range shooting(and field too) by more than i care to mention, most people that shoot my rifles are not even on paper when the gun goes of the first time they shoot it. my triggers tend to be set around 3 pounds, however their is no movement of the trigger(travel) to take up before the shot, shooting lighter triggers is better for accuracy, but 3 pounds is doable for my friends and i and safer if the gun is dropped or the bolt is slammed down(both are no nos for light poundage triggers/target triggers) it has come to the point that i dont want to waste time or ammo sighting in a gun with a bad trigger(im not sure how others feel but for me, ounce i went light i could not go back and still be happy) my 22-250 would not fire when i hung the gun from one finger on the trigger(empty but cocked) same goes for my cousins savage(without accutriger) both are full sized scoped rifles.

Post-a-holic

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lo-pro-hunter View Post
    "twist will determin which bullets your gun can shoot accuratly and which ones it wont.
    Interesting, thanks.
    So how do you know what bullet to use for a specific twist? Do you have to try them all until you find the "ONE"? Is some of the manufacturer use the same twist for a .243Win or 22-250? I guess I have to do more research about twist!

Post-a-holic

Last Online

Alright, so a .243Win riffle as a twist ratio of 1:10 what is enough to stability a bullet up to 100gr. So I guess most of the riffle on the market are suitable to shoot most of the bullet. kind of make sense.
    Last edited by seabast; October 19th, 2011 at 11:40 AM.

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 AM

I have a Remington 700 VSF in .22-250, it has a 1:14 twist rate and shoots lighter bullets better then the heavy. 45-50 grain seems to be the preference. The main options for .22-250 are usually but not inclusive to 1:14 or 1:12. I had a Savage in .22-250 that had a barrel twist of 1:12 and it was much more consistent with all bullets, both heavier and lighter.

If I were to buy another .22-250 again I would choose a rifle with a 1:12 or ever faster twist.

Jeff
    I like to Kill things...

ADVERTISEMENT