Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baikal MP 153 ....Any good?

Birdo

Default Baikal MP 153 ....Any good?

Hey Gang, I've got a friend who was wondering if this was a good shotgun to buy.

He was looking at a Baikal MP 153 12 gauge 3.5 semi auto in polymer black. The little shop was going to sell it new for 450$. Guy told him that this was a short term partnership with Remington and that this product is no longer being made. He also told him that the parts and services was all Remington.....

BTW shotgun has both Remington and Baikal markings on it.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

Last Online
    March 1st, 2014 @ 04:34 AM

I myself have almost bought one during a blow out sale at a local gunshop for $350 but was too late in getting there. I see them selling new for usually around $600. I think I am still going to buy one though at that price because all of the research I have done says there a great gun, the finish is about the only thing that isnt the best. Its a bakail so it looks like a bakail,but it is suppose to shoot as good as a browning.

Loyal Member

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM

I have a MP-153 for a couple of years now, it's a very good gun. Have a look on shotgunworld.
    “Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

Has too much time on their hands

Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 AM

My grandpa shoots a Baikal mp-153, and a guy my dad worked with shoots one. They both like the gun.
    Nick

Just starting out

Last Online
    July 23rd, 2014 @ 02:26 PM

Default Baikal

I had one and bought it because of all the buzz and good feedback on shotgunworld.com. I had excessive bolt wear with under 200 shells and it was warrantied at Elwood epps..Even with the new bolt it would hang the odd 3" 1450 fps shell( I cleaned the gun after every use). I also found it hard to get after market chokes etc in Canada.Maybe I got a lemon. I sold it and went to the other end of the price range ...A Beretta Extrema II and I'm as cheap as them come, but after looking at the fit and finish I now believe you get what you pay for.

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Today @ 08:38 AM

I've owned one MP-153 and was happy with everything except the break in period. The manual says to run 100 shells of high brass through before it becomes reliable for shooting all loads.

I've bought 2 Baikal's from the Russian importer in Canada (the other was the o/u sporting). There are no remington parts in them, they are imported right from Russia and once they are cleaned up the finish is actually quite good. Even the maual is mostly Russian and both of the guns I bought were within the last year. If you go to the importer's place of business you can get the best prices. I paid $400 for a brand new MP-153 dressed in Camo and I paid $500 for the sporting O/U with a ported barrel. These prices are $200-$300 less then you'll pay in stores.

The website is http://www.baikalcanada.com/

Jeff

Birdo

Jeffbondar, Thanks for the reply . I was trying to PM you ...doesn't seem to work. Can you please tell me where you bought it as three of us guys are just looking for the best price ....will travel. Where is this importers place of business?

Please reply or email me Thanks

My email is mcandido@videotron.ca

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Today @ 08:38 AM

I don't remember the lady's name but here is the contact information.

IZH IMPEX INC.
    Tel.: 416-736-9917
    Fax. 416-665-8459
    E-mail:
    izhcanada@yahoo.ca

They are on Alness St in Toronto. It is NW of Dufferin and Finch.

You should call her for an exact address, confirm prices and make sure they have what you are looking for.

Another thing I could have bought there at the time were Mosin Nagant WW2 rifles for about $125-$150

Good Luck.

Jeff

Getting the hang of it

Last Online
    August 25th, 2014 @ 08:28 PM

HI

I have a remington SPR453 (same darn thing as the MP 153) which I bought 2 years ago and so far I have had no issues with it, yes the break-in period is tedious but the action is built like a tank. The shotgun is a bit bulkier than say a remington 11-87 but the price for this 3.5" autoloader can not be argued.

My only beef was the chokes were a little off in their constrictions, I went with a Carlson's Improved choke for waterfowl and their turkey choke and the patterning is excellent. All in all, a good solid gun at home in a cornfield, swamp or an early spring field...

hope this helps.

Loyal Member

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM

I use Carlson's turkey and rifled chokes with very good results. BPS has them. For waterfowl I use the original extra full.

One more thing not mentioned here, this gun has very little recoil even with the tough 3.5 roman candles.

Here's a picture:

“Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

ADVERTISEMENT