Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What Trail Camera to Buy?

Member for Life

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:07 AM

Sky Pilot the IQ isn't bad, its just not what I was expecting.
    Theres a lot of noise in those images...easily corrected in post.
    A lot of day time pics seem washed out and over exposed...not badly, just not what I was expecting.

Its definitely a contender for anyone shopping. Just not sure I would say at that price point its the best for the buck.

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 03:39 AM

Quote Originally Posted by JBen View Post
    Just not sure I would say at that price point its the best for the buck.
    The price point is important depending on what your using the camera for. If your setting it up to truly watch if a trail is being used, then the quality of the pic isn't that important, but the 'wake up' or trigger speed is a bigger issue. That feature appears to be a main driving point for costs on a lot of models..ie. the faster ones seem to be more expensive.

If your just monitoring a bait pile, the wake-up speed isn't as important as the deer are there for a few minutes. So a cheaper model will suffice.

As far as the picture quality, I think the same holds true, if you don't really care how the pic looks, not using it for a desktop background, then a cheaper camera will do...having said that however, I have seen some great pics off a $50 Bushnell.

The placement or set-up of the camera will avoid allot of the 'washout' pic problems, keep it from facing the sun etc.
    "All hope abandon ye who enter here. "...Dante'

Has too much time on their hands

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:29 PM

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    The price point is important depending on what your using the camera for. If your setting it up to truly watch if a trail is being used, then the quality of the pic isn't that important, but the 'wake up' or trigger speed is a bigger issue. That feature appears to be a main driving point for costs on a lot of models..ie. the faster ones seem to be more expensive.

If your just monitoring a bait pile, the wake-up speed isn't as important as the deer are there for a few minutes. So a cheaper model will suffice.

As far as the picture quality, I think the same holds true, if you don't really care how the pic looks, not using it for a desktop background, then a cheaper camera will do...having said that however, I have seen some great pics off a $50 Bushnell.

The placement or set-up of the camera will avoid allot of the 'washout' pic problems, keep it from facing the sun etc.
    Agree Mike, Seems as price is most dependent on trigger speed, instant trigger reset and IR or Black flash.

Even my cam with IR(red glow) really spooks the coyotes.

One thing I am going to try more is the Li-ion battery. Lithium is advertised to be better in colder temps.
    which translate to faster trigger reset time in cold weather.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the groups I cannot shoot, the ability to dope the wind, and the wisdom to hide the bad targets.

Loyal Member

Last Online
    December 4th, 2013 @ 08:20 AM

bar none buy a scoutguard,my brother and i own 8 of them and we have never had a problem.....takes great pics ,day or night

Member for Life

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:07 AM

Agreed Mike.
    As I said theres lots I like about it. Some few things that could be a bit better at that price point (imo). The spots I use it all face NW, to NE so the sun shouldn't wash "some" of the images out. I'll see if I can post some samples. To be sure, some images are very good, a few frames later they can be overexposed and washed out.

Has all the answers

Last Online
    April 20th, 2014 @ 08:52 PM

Here is my 5 year long review. Anyone else got a camera that has lasted 5 years? Didn't think so .

http://forums.oodmag.com/showthread.php?t=4885

Apprentice

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM

ADVERTISEMENT