Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Thread: Primers

Has all the answers

Last Online
    July 5th, 2014 @ 07:29 AM

Default Primers

I want to give the Blackhorn 209 powder a try in my TC Omega and all the stuff I have read says to use a 209 shotgun primer and not a muzzle loader primer, what is the difference . Do I have to get a new breech plug, the primers I use now are the Remington ML 209. Thanks

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 PM

Quote Originally Posted by hunter391 View Post
    I want to give the Blackhorn 209 powder a try in my TC Omega and all the stuff I have read says to use a 209 shotgun primer and not a muzzle loader primer, what is the difference . Do I have to get a new breech plug, the primers I use now are the Remington ML 209. Thanks
    This information is from the Blackhorn 209 website FAQ. http://www.blackhorn209.com/faqs/

"We have experienced the best performance, consistency and accuracy with CCI 209M and Federal 209A. NOTE: DO NOT use 209 muzzleloading primers such as Winchester Triple 7, Remington Kleenbore, Federal Fusion, or CCI In-Line MZL."

My best guess would be that the shotgun primers have a much hotter ignition. I use the CCI 209M. Your breach plug will be just fine. All you have to do is remove and clean it with regular gun solvent once in a while. What works really good is to turn a proper size drill bit with your finger tips only into the flash hole. I use a 1/8" bit in my T/C Impact and it removes all the crud without damaging the breech plug. Makes it sparkling clean.

I have never had any issues with missfires.

Has all the answers

Last Online
    July 5th, 2014 @ 07:29 AM

Thanks Impact I will give it a try.

Leads by example

Last Online
    Today @ 01:48 PM

I use the 209's for everything(not the ML 209's but the shotgun 209's). T7, Goex or Pyrodex. If I had BH209 I'd use them for that as well. My theory is this; If you are trying to ignite something, why mess around with a match when you can use a torch.

HA

Apprentice

Last Online
    Today @ 01:41 PM

Fed 209A , No problem and a hot primer

Apprentice

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:16 AM

save yourself the trouble go with a hot shotgun primer. I use the BH209 and tried the Muzzleoader primers that was not good missfires and delays

Just starting out

Last Online
    November 25th, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

I use Cheddite primers as I have hundreds of them from shotgun reloading. They are a bit cheaper and every bit as good as most.

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM

Quote Originally Posted by huntaway View Post
    I use the 209's for everything(not the ML 209's but the shotgun 209's). T7, Goex or Pyrodex. If I had BH209 I'd use them for that as well. My theory is this; If you are trying to ignite something, why mess around with a match when you can use a torch.

HA
    Too hot of primer can push the load out slightly before it actually ignites with some powders.....

ADVERTISEMENT