Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Thread: Compound Bow - Hairline Fractures on Limbs...

Apprentice

Last Online
    July 21st, 2014 @ 12:27 AM

Default Compound Bow - Hairline Fractures on Limbs...

Hey everyone, thought I'd get some advice and ask a couple of questions about my bow.

I have an older PSE Nova Compound Bow (66lbs draw) that I've had kicking around for a couple years. Used it for deer the season before last with no problems and have since been using it for target practice here and there since.

I lent it to my brother's father-in-law who wanted to use it for a turkey hunt this past fall and he took it to Bass Pro Shops to have it checked out while he had it. The person at BPS told him that there were tiny hairline cracks in the limbs that should be taken care of. Now here are a couple of questions:

1) Is it dangerous for me to shoot this bow (even though I can't really see the cracks he's talking about)?

2) Is it worth having it repaired as it is an older model that is probably worth less than $150 now?

My brother's father-in-law didn't say anything about the guy at BPS saying that it would be dangerous to shoot the bow, but I'm kind of imagining that the hairline crack(s) can cause the limbs to possibly explode on a draw (or discharge for that matter) and cause grievous bodily harm to the shooter!

Thoughts?
    Kick his a55, Sea Bass!

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

Last Online
    Today @ 11:44 AM

If i were you, and i couldnt see any cracks, i might take it to a place like the Bow Shop in waterloo and have them give it a once over. I have had some people in the bass pro archery department (who sounded like they had no idea what they were talking about) try to sell me on things that i 'need' before.

But if you take it to someone knowledgeable and they say it isnt safe, i would probably just scrap it and get something new. This isnt a new $1000 bow your talking about.

Apprentice

Last Online
    January 10th, 2013 @ 06:33 PM

Take it to a pro shop for evaluation. Never shoot a bow with cracked limbs. As far as repairing it goes. New limbs will cost you a bit if you can still get them, but it will be cheaper than buying a new bow. If you can afford a new one, and would rather have a new one than why not just buy a new one? Replacing the bow has more to do with your budget than it does with the bows value.

I'm with kdp89 as far as bass pro goes...

RF
    thenakedarcher.com - Equipment reviews, and tutorials pertaining to traditional archery and bowhunting

Apprentice

Last Online
    July 21st, 2014 @ 12:27 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to take it to a pro shop and see what they say. Better safe than sorry, and worst come to worst I'll have tp scrap it! I'm due for a new bow anyway and this might be a sign to start saving for a new one!
    Kick his a55, Sea Bass!

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Today @ 02:22 PM

get a real bow shop to check out may be cracks in the paint only

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 10:05 PM

Quote Originally Posted by kdp89 View Post
    If i were you, and i couldnt see any cracks, i might take it to a place like the Bow Shop in waterloo and have them give it a once over. I have had some people in the bass pro archery department (who sounded like they had no idea what they were talking about) try to sell me on things that i 'need' before.

But if you take it to someone knowledgeable and they say it isnt safe, i would probably just scrap it and get something new. This isnt a new $1000 bow your talking about.

Yep,what he said.Bass Pro staff are paid on commission. I wouldn't believe a word some staffer said. If they can con someone into a $650 bow,they'd do it in a heartbeat. Saugeen Shafts in Peterborough have an excellent reputation.
    This here's a high class joint,so act respectable.

ADVERTISEMENT