Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Skeet shooting in marsh

Post-a-holic

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:49 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    an obvious oversight? in the regulations.
    I'll agree to that. I would be interested to see how it would play out though.

A slight aside (interpretation of regulations); last fall I was partial to a conversation with a CO regarding hybridized Black ducks and at what point a hybrid black was considered a mallard. The CO's response was really quite simple "if it looks like a black duck, it is a black duck".

Would the CO interpret the law as any discharge of lead with in 200m of water or only during the act of hunting migratory birds?
    Last edited by jobbershunting; April 16th, 2012 at 01:16 PM.

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

Last Online
    October 21st, 2014 @ 10:50 AM

Quote Originally Posted by jobbershunting View Post

A slight aside (interpretation of regulations); last fall I was partial to a conversation with a CO regarding hybridized Black ducks and at what point a hybrid black was considered a mallard. The CO's response was really quite simple "if it looks like a black duck, it is a black duck".

Would the CO interpret the law as any discharge of lead with in 200m of water or only during the act of hunting migratory birds?
    Interesting question. My first thought would be that it is situational and I'm sure some will find exceptions.

I would say that the "majority" of waterfowl hunting is done with decoys. So that would rule out anyone hunting over dekes. For the remaining few pass and jump shooters, lying in wait would be the strategy for many pass shooters, so hunkered down in layout blinds eliminates that group, and I would think most do not sit in fence rows waiting for a pheasant to stumble in.

Jump shooters walking into private ponds would probably be the most difficult. I know I've walked the bush chasing grouse and pushed wood ducks. Assuming most jump shooters have to retrieve their birds, if you've got waders on I'd say you're busted.

So that leaves us dog guys....how can you not trust a guy with a dog? we're safe...

As for the black duck id. The response I was given from CWS was white on the speculum means not a black. Some will say that it should have 11-12 black duck feathers on the secondary flight feathers, but if you can count that on the wing...well ya.
    Andrew
    HRCH Oakridgertvr Logan Express
    Purina Pro Plan and Tri Tronics Electronic Dog Training Products

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Today @ 04:40 AM

The 200 metres was the phasing in of the no lead at all for waterfowl rule I think.

Member for Life

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM

Quote Originally Posted by jobbershunting View Post

From a biological perspective any hybridisation is NOT a black duck. My understanding of the legal definition is what Winston has identified - any white on the speculum is not a black - this is one of the first places where hybridisation is visible.

Post-a-holic

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:49 AM

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    From a biological perspective any hybridisation is NOT a black duck. My understanding of the legal definition is what Winston has identified - any white on the speculum is not a black - this is one of the first places where hybridisation is visible.
    I don't disagree at all, I'm quite framilar with the hybridization of blacks. I was just using that as an analogy of interpretation of the law. On that note, most CO's I have come across have a tenuous grasp on biology at best.

Getting the hang of it

Last Online
    September 30th, 2014 @ 10:39 AM

Shooting lead over a waterbody for non-waterfowl hunting purposes is legal. This is not likely so much a "oversight" in the regulation, but a function of jurisdiction of the regulatory body who made the regulation. For example the Canadian Wildlife Service regulates migratory birds, ... not all firearms discharge laws. So they regulate what they have the mandate to regulate.

I have been to one sporting clays course on a range where one station is over a wetland and people shoot with lead -- Doesn't make much sense does it? I'd encourage hunters to take it upon themselves to do the right thing even if not required by the regs.

Same applies to target shooting on public lands. If it is just one or two people, it might fly under the radar. If you are a big group, making a lot of noise (gun shots), or leaving a big mess, then you are basically inviting others to complain and seek further restrictions on the land use in that area. Do you want to be the one that ruins it for everyone else?

I'll admit to doing the odd legal, yet stupid, thing in my time... but I do regret it and am hopefully getting a little wiser as I get older.

Loyal Member

Last Online
    July 9th, 2014 @ 01:45 PM

You can purchase Biodegradable shells, but private property and a local range is more suitable.

ADVERTISEMENT