Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seagaur or P-Line?

Loyal Member

Last Online
    August 24th, 2014 @ 11:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestion red-x. I'll check out the video.
    All fisherman are liars except you and me, but sometimes I'm not so darn sure about you.

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

Last Online
    August 24th, 2014 @ 11:12 PM

I just watched the video for the double grinner knot. It looks nice, I think I'll give it a try. What's the profile of the knot like compared to a double-uni? Does it go through the guides easily?
    All fisherman are liars except you and me, but sometimes I'm not so darn sure about you.

Apprentice

Last Online
    October 20th, 2014 @ 12:39 PM

A very cool knot but I think the blood knot would be smaller yet.

Leads by example

Last Online
    October 27th, 2014 @ 06:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Zooless View Post
    I just watched the video for the double grinner knot. It looks nice, I think I'll give it a try. What's the profile of the knot like compared to a double-uni? Does it go through the guides easily?

it's fine, no issues for me but try and see for your self. I was told this knot is best for braid to mono/fluor due to no cutting each other in high stress.

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:19 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Zooless View Post

I tie an Albright knot for my leaders(1/2albright for 50lb+), compact for the guides and really hangs on with the different diameters since its the braid that wraps around a loop of floro. I'll tie on a rod's length of Seaguar leader material to much smaller dia. braid. The extra length in the leader adds that Shock resistance your after and provides that toothy critter protection. Most my rods are now over 7'. Floro main line is not leader material. Biggest thing with the Seaguar is that tiny spool for $30 will prevent bite-offs where main line is just invisible with some abrasion protection.
    Make sure you are using specifically "leader material" before the floro rave most fly fishermen have used it branded differently. Chemeleon leader from fenwick.

BassPro shop offers their own brand of leader material for less than the seaguar, no complaints for it.

I have a couple baitcasters which are spooled entirely of floro, ones the Gold stuff for clear water slop fishing and the other is 8lb for finesse fishing the clear water. I would still tie on a leader for Pike.

Apprentice

Last Online
    October 20th, 2014 @ 12:39 PM

I look at it this way; if seaguars or any brand names line and "leader" say 100% fluorocarbon on the package then there's not that much of a difference at all. Yes they can throw in some smart wording like "double structured" and yes the resins are extruded differently but what you end up with is a harder line which they jack the price way up on. Not to mention that those expensive leader wheels kink much easier and when you want to get a loose knot out to save retying forget it with the expensive stuff. But also I'm talking from a float fishing perspective I have caught up to 5 steelhead before having to retie and that was just to be safe I used to use the expensive stuff but will never buy it again I find that because its hard it breaks off easier. Maybe it's a different ball game when you reach 50 and 60 lb test for pike.

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:19 AM

It is not a gimic, It is an extremely expensive manufacturing process compared to the standard extrusion.

I meant Maxima not fenwick my bad on the other leader. I was using Titanium for Pike but they are expensive and do need replacing sometimes only after 2 fish but have fished a month on another. I have not lost a fish due to the floro. I have switched up leaders sometimes in the course of a day but that is after some 10+ pike. I tie leaders like you would buy in the store with snaps and swivels varying in length with the 50 and 60lb floro. It can kink and is hard to tie. Standard figure 8 knot is the smallest knot I found with very little waste on the tag end. Works amazing, stiff enough to keep subtle braid outta the hooks, helps run shallow cranks a little deeper. We all love the wide wobble from shallow cranks just hard to make the disappear under the surface. A nose down from the heavy floro will do exactly that. That $30 spool will make more $5 leaders than you burn through in a season of pike tournaments.

Member for Life

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM

Personally I've used Seaguar leader material and it's been great. I've also used P-Line products as well, but not their fluorocarbon, just the fluorocarbon coated line.

Regarding choice of line, there are a number of variables that needed to be considered when making a decision:

What type of water are you fishing in? Is it clear or murky?
    Are you fishing deep or shallow?
    What type of fish are you targeting?
    What type of bait are you fishing?

When I fish crystal clear rivers for steelhead or trout, I prefer using pure fluorocarbon. It sinks better than mono and is practically invisible to the fish.

When I fish for bass, I use braid since I'm dealing with weeds and need the strength to be able to pull the fish out.

When I fish using lures with treble hooks (e.g. Mepps spinners or spoons) on a fast rod, I prefer mono to ensure the lures don't get pulled out of the fish's mouth. In some cases the fluoro-coated mono would be the best choice there since it gives the best of both worlds.

When I fish muskie, I prefer braid for the power to deal with the big boys.

When I fish carp, I use either mono or fluorocarbon. The fish are shallow and while they're picky, they're not as bad as the steelhead.

Finally, it depends on how much line I can afford to buy.

Hopefully that helps you out, and you can make a decision based on your particular fishing habits.
    FM

Getting the hang of it

Last Online
    July 27th, 2014 @ 07:48 PM

I've been using 12" to 36" Seaguar leader material 50 & 60 lb for Pike & Musky for a few years & like it, uni to uni knot, but Trillene & P line Flouro for tubes, dropshot & a few other techniques, I like Flouroclear for Crankbaits & Jerkbaits sometimes
    Tight Lines SBK
    Waterloo Wellington CBAF, CBAF Team Ontario 2009
    Lake Huron Fishing Club
    Grey Bruce Bass Club:fish:

Leads by example

Last Online
    March 20th, 2014 @ 05:50 PM

I use a bright coloured braid as a mainline and a flurocarbon leader when it is required. Makes a spool of expensive flurocarbon go a long way. Having your entire spool filled with flurocarbon seems like a waste to me. Plus you get way more sensitivity and longer casts with braid.
    MissionFishing.net

ADVERTISEMENT