Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild boar in the Blue Mountains

Just starting out

Last Online
    April 24th, 2013 @ 08:38 AM

Default Wild boar in the Blue Mountains

A number of years ago a group of wild boars escaped from a game farm in our area. Every year they are
    spotted around town. two years ago there was a sow with young pigletts right off Hwy 26 behind the
    Ardiel veterinary clinic. The local paper got the shot and it ran as an article. last year there were half
    a dozen under my wifes friends bird feeder right on the south side of the hwy beside Ormsby's market.
    This has been going on for years. Would these hogs be considered feral and open to hunting? They do
    seem to disapear for long periods but then they show up again. They seem to be most visible in the
    winter months. There is a polaroid picture of them under her bird feeder, I will see if I can get it and
    scan it in to post.

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:12 AM

I would be excited to see another 'big' game animal to hunt in the area other than deer. Personally if I meet a healthy pig in the forest (October-January), I would shoot it for the freezer. It's been 30 years since I tasted one. Thanks for the info Scotty! Hope you can beam up the photos soon!!!

Getting the hang of it

Last Online
    July 28th, 2014 @ 03:38 PM

Fair game no matter what time of year,no limits.

Just starting out

Last Online
    April 24th, 2013 @ 08:38 AM

Hi Hawkman,

As you know Trixie knows the smell of hog so I am thinking if we can find any tracks or scent.....

I found my contact at the MNR from our creek rehab project and left him a message. Asking are
    you aware of their presence and can you shoot'em. I will let you know if so we will give it a shot.

Regards,

Scott

Apprentice

Last Online
    July 29th, 2014 @ 01:52 PM

That will be interesting! Donno about this Geographic zone but once established in warmer climates they are not likely eradicated.
    If there are no dogs in heaven then I want to go where they went - Will Rogers(1879-1935)
    No one knows how stupid you are until you open your mouth!Hidden Content

Apprentice

Last Online
    August 11th, 2014 @ 03:16 PM

Funny,
    There was an escape last summer in eastern Ontario and the MNR claimed they couldn't survive the winter here. Beats me how RUSSIAN wild hogs make it north of Edmonton, but it's too cold and not enough food over winter here. LOL. Let us know what you find out. We've got some hog dogs that would love a workout, that is for sure.

Thanks Scott.
    ------
    Cur dogs: Hunt in the township they are turned loose in. What a novel idea.
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals how come they're made out of meat?

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 AM

Default Wild Boars

We have wild boars here in Pa. and the Game Commission is trying to get rid of them because of the damage they do to the environment and other wildlife - once established they are very difficult to get rid of - I don't think you want them to be running loose in Canada - In Russia they have wild boars that could weigh more than 700 lbs - they are difficult to hunt and can be dangerous - In Texas they are a real problem for farmers - they dig up a field as though a bulldozer was used -they should be able to survive in Canada's north country -

Just starting out

Last Online
    April 16th, 2013 @ 01:46 PM

That sounds like a blast and i think hog could make it anywhere they wanted too .. little borrers they shoudl be able to dig in the snow and find things better then anything else out there .. i am goign to look more into it . WOULD love to have the chance to hunt boars in canada :-) woudl jsut be another reason we have a great country for hunting

KevinInTexas

Kill'em all! They are fun to shoot and eat but they can be very destructive.

Has too much time on their hands

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:12 AM

Quote Originally Posted by KevinInTexas View Post
    Kill'em all! They are fun to shoot and eat but they can be very destructive.
    We'd love to do that Kevin, but they are not naturally occurring up here, and there is not even a mention of them in our hunting regulations. Some game farms have captive stock available for hunting for a fee. the ones Scott is mentioning are escapees from such private farms in his county.
    We are hoping that they will not grow in numbers too quickly to cause the damage that they can do, but we are also hoping that there will be enough of them to hunt
    In this particular area the only large games available are white-tailed deer and some black bears. I would personally shoot a wild boar if I see one in the fall or winter, then again I'm not exactly walking around with a rifle during spring or summer months anyway

ADVERTISEMENT