Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting with progressive lenses?

Just starting out

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM

Default Shooting with progressive lenses?

So I have to go to progressive lenses, as my eyes are getting "weak". Started with reading glasses a few years ago, but now I have to go with progressive lenses or bi-focals.

For shooting (shotgun and rifle) what is the best choice? Bi-focals or progressives?

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM

bifocals
    "By all means let's be open-minded , but not so open-minded that our brains drop out." quote R.D.

Borderline Spammer

Last Online
    October 23rd, 2014 @ 07:47 PM

I wear progressives but thats for reading as well. For distance I dont wear my glasses. Just dont let the quarry get within a couple of feet ! lol
    Don

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM

I wear bifocals and have no troubles shooting. Just with hitting!
    Member of the National Firearms Association (NFA).

Member for Life

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:34 PM

excellent question....I had progressives for awhile and found wearing glasses in general a pain in the butt, especailly for shooting. I actually found that I didn't need short or long correction when using a scope. Same with Bino's..more comfortable without the glasses on and didn't seem to need them.

Now I don't need a great correction (yet)..so question for those that 'have' to wear glasses..ie..blind without them...do you still need to wear them if your looking thru a scope ?

note: I couldn't stand wearing progressives, they made me dizzy, so I now have two pair...a set of reading magnifiers and a corrective lens (full glass) for distance. A bit of a pain, but I only need them for watching TV.
    "All hope abandon ye who enter here. "...Dante'

Member for Life

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM

Been wearing glasses since a teen, I have progressive in my glasses for the last 2-1/2 years. Took a while to get used to, now it doesn't bother me at all. Hasn't affected my shooting yet, your automatically looking through the top part of your glasses when shooting. Good Luck
    Moe
    "Only a dead fish goes with the flow"
    Proud member of OFAH, NFA, CSSA

Post-a-holic

Last Online
    October 22nd, 2014 @ 02:32 PM

I'm like MP have to wear glasses when reading under artificial light yet can take a phone book outside and read it without any problems or the need for glasses, but when it comes to distance I still haven't a broblem with anything being fuzzy but glasses do sharpen everything up.

Last year was the first time I tried using them while hunting, shotgun and rifle and it made quite the difference. No problem looking through the scope either. But on the other hand I do practice quite a bit bringing the gun up to the shoulder. I'd pick a spot on the wall, snap the gun up to my shoulder and see if I;m on target.

Don't know why I waited so long to try shooting with my glasses on. Man thing I guess...
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Apprentice

Last Online
    October 20th, 2014 @ 05:38 PM

I wear progressive lenses. I shoot bows and my old glasses I could never shoot with glasses on. Tried verifiers and clarifiers in my peep sites. When I lined my bow to shoot I was always looking through the nose piece and made things worse than no glasses. Broke them glasses a month ago and got new ones. Always wore big ones but this time I got Nike frames, thin progessive lenses and they sit right against my nose on both sides. Man now I know how people shoot bows with glasses on. Told wife next time I need glasses I will take my bow with me to make sure my glasses work for shooting my bow.

Should add this, Been wearing progressive lenses for 5 years now and love them, being a Licenced gas fitter, fixing furnaces, installing furnaces ect I can always see good no matter the job at hand. Would never wear anything but progressive lensed. Tried bifocals one time and absolutely hated them.
    Last edited by wheelie; August 21st, 2012 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Added second paragraph
    Wheelie's wobble, but we don't fall down!
    Join the Bowfishing movement in Ontario.

Has all the answers

Last Online
    October 22nd, 2014 @ 09:17 PM

Would never wear anything but progressive lensed.
    Me too. I went with progressive lenses about three years ago and never looked back. Some people complain about an adjustment period but the only thing I ever had to adjust to is well they work. I have no issues with them when shooting either open sights or scopes. One thing that is extremely import with progressive lenses is thay they are properly fit by a competent person. Poor fitting and poorly made progressives will drive you crazy.

Loyal Member

Last Online
    October 3rd, 2014 @ 09:43 PM

I wear progressives, but prefer contact lenses while hunting.

Sam

ADVERTISEMENT