Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canoe motor mount and 2 HP

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Today @ 07:04 AM

Default Canoe motor mount and 2 HP

Hey folks,

ANyone ever use a canoe motor mount with 2 HP gas motor?

What was the experience like? Did you find the canoe tippier? Was it over-powered?

I'd like to hear from those who own this set up

thanks very much

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

Last Online
    July 11th, 2014 @ 03:23 PM

I have a two horse and a 17 foot canoe. Works awesome. I made a mount myself. Iteration one broke last year during the moose hunt, and I am testing iteration two this morning. Not tippy though.

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Today @ 07:04 AM

Quote Originally Posted by dmichel View Post
    I have a two horse and a 17 foot canoe. Works awesome. I made a mount myself. Iteration one broke last year during the moose hunt, and I am testing iteration two this morning. Not tippy though.
    Thanks.. I am thinking about this set up - 16ft fiberglass with a 2 HP Honda (older model)... Nice to not have to mix.. and those Hondas are sweet motors... quiet and efficient.

Thanks for the input

Has too much time on their hands

Last Online
    July 14th, 2014 @ 04:22 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Splaker View Post
    Thanks.. I am thinking about this set up - 16ft fiberglass with a 2 HP Honda (older model)... Nice to not have to mix.. and those Hondas are sweet motors... quiet and efficient.

Thanks for the input

I have that exact set up with a older model Abitibi canoe and a 2hp Yamaha motor.Never had a problem with it and very steady as long a you are not a bull in a China shop at the best of times.The motor is sitting right beside me in the basement and has been down here for years,I have not used it for at least 3 years,I,am on a no motor smaller lake.
    Terrible waste of a good engine.I would definetely use a fiberglass canoe for the weight distrubution.Dont know if I would put a calf in it but a big deer no problem,its been used for that and two guys at the same time.

Just starting out

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:16 AM

I run a Sportspal w/ an electic. Battery sits in the canoe to keep the weight down low. Real quiet, water lapping the canoe makes more noise. Battery lasts all day if you go slow. Perfect for moose hunting shoreline and trolling for pike at the same time.

Just starting out

Last Online
    September 2nd, 2013 @ 03:21 PM

There is a cure for that. They make outriggers for canoes. I mainly use mine to flyfish from my canoe, but they are great for a loaded down canoe as well. They do add a bit of drag, but nothing a 2hp motor can't account for. They make a more streamlined version now, but they were not available when I purchased mine several years ago.

Both floats are adjustable for width and height off the water. I usually have mine up while paddling, but when loaded you can put them in the water. Doesn't effect tracking that much.

Last edited by Chris; November 6th, 2012 at 01:55 PM.

Swims with the Fishes

Last Online
    July 21st, 2014 @ 07:07 AM

Dragging a 2 hp through the bush beats dragging an electric and battery.
    That rug really tied the room together

Getting the hang of it

Last Online
    January 25th, 2014 @ 03:36 PM

Should not be an issue. I use to run a older model 3HP SIDE MOUNTED Johnson on a 18ft wide bottom. We never tipped it but had a BLAST over the years. Took it from oakville to Burlington in Lake Ontario a few times. Just watch when cornering sharp LOL I have lost a passenger a few times at full tilt.
    Remember to wear your life jacket...you may be the best swimmer around but it does not matter when you hit your head while going over and are knock out face down in the water. Rule in my boat is if its moving you wear a life jacket or we stay anchored where we are.

Has too much time on their hands

Last Online
    Today @ 05:31 AM

I run a 2 hp on a 14 foot Scott squareback and love it. Bit of a pain to reach around to operate it. I used to have the motor on a Coleman with a side mount. Actually easier to steer and control but the canoe was a lot less forgiving than the Scott. Nothing to do with the motor, just the canoe.
    Eat Moose......12000 wolves can't be wrong!:moose:

Just starting out

Last Online
    May 27th, 2014 @ 08:48 AM

I too run a 2.2 Merc on the back of a 14ft Scott y stern. Used the set up for years. Whole calfs and quartered adult moose have made the trip out of the bush with two adults. I have used side mounts with the same motor on conventional canoes....they are more comfortable to run especially when fishing but as Crash said they are far less forgiving.

ADVERTISEMENT