Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Do I Need a Drivers Licence to Buy Ammunition

Has all the answers

Last Online
    Today @ 03:37 AM

Default Why Do I Need a Drivers Licence to Buy Ammunition

I was just at Canadian Tire to buy some 22's. I handed the clerk my PAL and he said he also required my drivers licence. He said they started doing this 2 weeks ago. When I asked why he said its just what he's been told. It told him I'll pass and get it elsewhere. Anyone know why they are doing this?
    CQ CQ CQ ?

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Today @ 06:06 AM

Never heard of it...
    I've have had all that I wanted of a lot of things I've had, and a lot more then I needed of some things that turned out bad.

Borderline Spammer

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:06 PM

I bought ammo today at Crappy Tire, all he wanted was name and PAL #. Not sure why, hopefully not to record an address.

Getting the hang of it

Last Online
    July 27th, 2014 @ 05:25 PM

Never heard of it.

Loyal Member

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:17 PM

I had a thread about this a few weeks ago,the CT I went to wanted my address as well as my pal! Last time I buy ammo there!

Loyal Member

Last Online
    July 12th, 2014 @ 05:29 PM

So they can find out where you live, break in, and steal your guns. Or they can sell the info to someone who might break in, and steal your guns. Or maybe not. Just a though. I don't give anyone my address when it might indicate that there are firearms stored in my home. That would be stupid.

Getting the hang of it

Last Online
    April 12th, 2014 @ 07:14 PM

I DO advertise I have firearms, no friends and a really bad attitude!( dog has the same but he can't shoot worth a s..t.)
    So you missed. Get over it!

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 06:24 AM

Had it happan once many years ago at a Canadian Tire. Told them they were wrong and I left. Never had it happen again. Some Canadian tires have their own "Extra" Rules.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    July 27th, 2014 @ 06:35 PM

greatwhite is right. The CFO only requires a PAL to be produced, but some retailers ask for more. They are allowed to, and we are allowed to shop elsewhere:

File Reference XXX XX XX

Mr. smallgamer:

The Firearms Act requires an individual to have a firearms licence in order to purchase ammunition. In other words, if you are a holder of a POL or a PAL, you can purchase ammunition.

The Ammunition Regulation Act of Ontario , 1994, requires businesses to record the name, age, and address of individual. A number of years ago, the CFO, for protection of privacy reasons, adopted a policy and sent a memo to all Ontario firearms businesses indicating that an individual’s name and firearms licence were sufficient to meet the requirement of the Ammunition Regulation Act (ARA) as we are the regulators of both the ARA and the Firearms Act (FA) and we have access to the database that allows us to look up the ages and addresses of our licensed clients if such a need arises.

In instances, where individual does not have a firearms licence and he/she wishes to purchase pellets (pellets are defined as ammunition in the ARA but are not considered ammunition pursuant to the FA), an individual would be required to provide government photo ID, age, and address as per the ARA.

I trust this answers your question.

Regards,

Chantal L. Trahan
    Policy and Communications Officer
    Chief Firearms Office - Ontario
    Tel: 705-329-5524 or 1-800-731-4000, ext. 7544
    Fax: 705-329-5623
    E-mail:chantal.trahan@ontario.ca

Sent: March 29, 2012 11:45 AM

To: CFO Ontario (JUS)

Subject: ammo purchases - I.D. requirement

Hello

It is my understanding that only a valid PAL must be presented for ammunition purchases. Some retailers demand further identification. Is the presentation of additional identification required by law?

Regards,

smallgamer

St. Thomas, On.
    NFA, CSSA, OFAH, NRA, East Elgin Sportsmen's Association

Borderline Spammer

Last Online
    Today @ 12:15 AM

Canadian Tire (where I live) is an absolute joke. No ammo to even be tempted by, so I have no idea if they'll ask for more than a PAL. I'd be very reluctant to offer-up that information though. Seems like it adds risk (liability?) that shouldn't be there, Canadian Tire should be contacted/questioned about it.

ADVERTISEMENT