Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning Auto-5 or Stoeger M3500?

Just starting out

Last Online
    Today @ 05:11 AM

Default Browning Auto-5 or Stoeger M3500?

I know its like asking Grandpa or your teenage son to shingle your roof for you but I just gotta know what the pro's and con's to each gun.

I'm in the market for a semi for waterfowl, upland, sporting clays, pest control on the farm etc.

My dad has a Stoeger and I've shot it and love it. It fits me well.

I love the looks of the Browning and the nostalgia of a classic shotgun like the A-5. Ive never shouldered one so Im not sure on the fit (Im 6'3" with long arms)

Im looking for everyone's opinion on each. What the best bang for the buck is, and overall experience with each gun.

Thanks,
    Riley

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 06:55 AM

Well the A5 has a near cult like reputation based on decades of reliable service, the Stoeger........not so much. Just make sure the A5 has a choke that can handle steel if waterfowl is on the menu.

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 06:22 AM

Browning is one of the most respected names in firearms history. Stoeger, is well, a firearm.

My only experience with Stoeger was a negative one.

Borderline Spammer

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:02 AM

The guns you are talking about are in different class's. The Browning is built with higher quality while the stoeger to a price point, the Stoeger will do the job but the Browning will be passed down to the next generation.

Leads by example

Last Online
    October 15th, 2014 @ 08:08 PM

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    The guns you are talking about are in different class's. The Browning is built with higher quality while the stoeger to a price point, the Stoeger will do the job but the Browning will be passed down to the next generation.
    exactly what I was going to say.

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM

If you've never fired a Browning A5 (I'm referring to the old ones) you may find that the "double shuffle" of the action somewhat off putting.

I've owned an A5 20 ga Magnum for almost 50 years. It's like the Energizer bunny - just keeps going and going! My son is your size and it fits him OK. I'm a bit shorter (6') with long arms and I find it just about perfect.

The review I read of the Stoeger M3500 said that it "rough exterior" and a "rough 9 pound trigger" and that it "would be at home lying in the mud next to a goose hunter". If you want a shot gun to take a physical beating then maybe the Stoeger is the way to go 'cause beating up a gorgeous firearm like the Browning A5 would be a shame. Not that the A5 couldn't take the beating - it could but it would be sad!

I would recommend the old A5.
    Member of the National Firearms Association (NFA).

Apprentice

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM

The new A5 is nothing like the old one. New one is gas operated. Recoil is not two-staged like the old ones. Barrel doesn't move, and you don't get the cool "garbage can lid"noise". Nice gun to shoulder, but it is a dirty, rotten, filthy pig if you shoot premium shells through it. Kicked like a pig! I guess you can expect this since it's so light. I personally wouldn't buy one. Also had crap experience with a Stoeger 2000 semi. Terrible threading on muzzle - chokes either get stuck, or will not thread. Gun was light. Kicked like a mule.Didn't like the safety location. I've literally owned every semi there is. Beratta Extrema has been the best for me, by far. Might be worth checking out the new Rem Versa too. Don't touch it though, unless Remington hasn't done there homework and re-engineered the entire gun, over the god-awful embarrassment they called a shotgun when they continued to keep making the 1187 SuperMag. The worst POS I have ever owned. They took their 3"chamber and just lengthened it for 3.5.. Couldn't take the pounding. You'd have metal filings after two boxes of shells, and the 1940s gas system with the rubber rings was ridiculous. I haven't seen the new Versa, but I've heard that they made something better this time. I wouldn't get the A5 if you're planning on shooting turkey loads, slugs, waterfowl loads.

Loyal Member

Last Online
    June 21st, 2014 @ 07:19 PM

Fenelon i suggest you look back into the new A5 it is not gas operated , it is inertia like the original just not based off the long recoil like the original , more based off of the benelli system. there is no comparison on the two , one is built to a price point the other is built for longevity , if you are looking to buy it once get the a5 if you want to buy something to get you shooting for not a whole lotta money get the 3500

Apprentice

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM

Thanks Kevin - you're right about the inertia cycling. I went to the browning site and read up on the gun's features. Have you tried shooting one? My friend just got one and he's regretting it after shooting it. Wishes he could have tried shooting one before he bought it. The kick is bad. I put 5 Nitro Steel waterfowl loads through it and it was no fun to shoot. My Beretta feels like a 20 ga compared to the A5. Too bad, because the fit of the gun was real nice.

Just starting out

Last Online
    Today @ 05:11 AM

Thanks for all the feedback!

Sounds like i need to keep my eye out for an A5 at a fair price. I found the Stoeger my dad has to be very well built and very solid. I know its not as tried and tested like the A5 but I was impressed for the price he paid.

The only thing leading me towards the Stoeger is the interchangeable choke tubes and the synthetic stock. I know if I could find a nice late model Japanese made A5 I would have the best of both worlds. Its just a matter of tracking one down in my budget.

Riley

ADVERTISEMENT