Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Thread: Access to Fishing - Goderich Harbour

Just starting out

Last Online
    January 19th, 2014 @ 06:08 PM

Default Access to Fishing - Goderich Harbour

After hearing about catches of perch in Goderich harbour, I ventured down to the harbour front and was dismayed to see how the salt mine has effectively barred access to the end of the north pier and a good portion of the rock wall leading out to the main lake. This may be recent as I normally fish with my kids in Southampton. Since we now have a trailer in that area. One would think that there would be a right of easement at Goderich as fisherman have accessed this area for well over 50 years( +). I would think that the Ontario Out of Doors would take a look at this and at least protest. I am sure that the salt will dream up a number of excuses including liability which really don't pan out over time. Another shifty denial of access that I am aware of happened many years ago when the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority fenced off the top of Gordon Pittock Dam citing liability concerns when the real issue was not being able to collect fees from anglers on the north side of the river. As fishers we really need to stand up when crap like this is happening for the sake of younger generations.

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

Last Online
    Today @ 11:57 AM

Access was restricted after the tornado.
    Last year you could not get much past the restaurant at the end of the harbor. Now you can get to the mine just not behind it on the road.
    With the lower water some have been walking out to the rock wall along the bottom of the cement wall.

Just starting out

Last Online
    January 19th, 2014 @ 06:08 PM

Default Poor excuse for Salt mine

Someone should go after the mine owners, after all they are Americans and don't a darn about us anglers. In the late 1940's perch fishing in Goderich was world class until the mine expanded according to my late father and we have pictures to back it up. We should have open access to the waterfront. It's a right of easement. The tornado did nothing to alter it. It was just an excuse.

ADVERTISEMENT