Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fletching

Getting the hang of it

Last Online
    April 21st, 2014 @ 08:30 PM

Default fletching

Just wondering how hard is it to refletch arrows? What do I have to do? or am I better off taking them to a local shop to be done I have 6 in need of fletching. Thanks for the help

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

Last Online
    Today @ 04:33 PM

Unless you shoot and refletch a lot, take them to a shop. Applying fletching is an easy job with a good jig. But the cost of a good jig and glue and fletching is an investment. If it's just 6 arrows, take it to a shop; if it's 6000 from now until you stop shooting, buy the jig.

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 06:56 PM

Depends how much you shoot and how good a shot you are. If you slap arrows all the time you would be spending alot of money and time at the bowshop. Vanes and glue are cheap. You can buy a Bitzenburger and when you get out of archery get 75% if your investment back. Check archerytalk.com in the classifieds, many times you can find used ones. I fletched everything when i was into compounds.

Has all the answers

Last Online
    Today @ 03:59 PM

I saw on a hunting show once, fletching on a sleeve that slips over the arrow. Has anyone tried these B4
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Has too much time on their hands

Last Online
    April 21st, 2014 @ 10:32 PM

Quote Originally Posted by tom gobble View Post
    I saw on a hunting show once, fletching on a sleeve that slips over the arrow. Has anyone tried these B4
    I haven't personally tried one, but here's the product:
    http://www.nativeoutdoors.com/store/...ro-6-pack.html

Also: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/nap-quikfletch-quikspin

I have re-fletched very few arrows in my time. No jig, just glue and longer plastic fletchings.

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM

There are some inexpensive jigs for fletching that will do a perfectly serviceable job on straight plastic vanes. For helical fletch or feathers, a Bitzenberger is good. When I first started archery I bought a fletching jig and really enjoy doing it myself.

Loyal Member

Last Online
    April 22nd, 2014 @ 07:18 PM

Quote Originally Posted by tom gobble View Post
    I bought some last year to quickly replace the soft plastic fletching that went wavy after shooting with a whisker biscuit and to get the harder vanes. Quick and easy. They may not be best or most cost effective for long term though, mostly for quick replacement while away on a hunt trip. Just progressively dunk them slowly into boiling water so the shrinkwrap contracts evenly and does not create air bubbles. I added a bead of super glue to the leading edge of the shrinkwrap just to keep from peeling them back when shooting and I usually put a drop of super glue on the leading edge of the vane itself where it attaches to the shaft/shrinkwrap for the same reason. I have only peeled one off (actually only one vane ripped off) by shooting right through my target material. So far, so good.
    According to my avatar, it seems it's not always best to be first. Being first comes at a price.

Just starting out

Last Online
    April 21st, 2014 @ 06:55 AM

Used the quickfletchs before. They work well for the intended use.
    Cons: expensive for the 6 pack
    If you lose a vane you have to replace the wrap and all
    The glue is sometimes a pain to get off after the removal of a quikfletch but not much different than regular wrap glue.

Leads by example

Last Online
    Today @ 06:29 PM

Canthitathing. When your veins get wavy I find dunking them in some near boiling water can bring them back to life.

As for fletching your own arrows. I do my own all the time. Makes for something to do on a cold winters eve. It takes a bit of know how but is easily mastered.
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Leads by example

Last Online
    March 16th, 2014 @ 03:47 PM

do you shoot with fallaway arrow rest?

I use fobs and it works great. much easier to attach, shoot and remove.

ADVERTISEMENT