Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time....Deer hunting.... Need tips...

Just starting out

Last Online
    July 28th, 2014 @ 11:42 PM

Default First time....Deer hunting.... Need tips...

Hey All,
    best place to ask all the questions here..... First time I will go deer hunting....
    tree stand already setup.....
    i put a trailcam.... Activity is good.... But big buck only comes at nite... Which definitely is not good.....

1) I have beretta shotgun..... What kind of ammo to use ?
    2) what time should we get on the stand ?
    3) bought a spray to neutralize smell... Is that helpful??
    4) doe urine.... Helpfull?

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

Last Online
    Today @ 03:58 PM

Quote Originally Posted by mangat2000 View Post
    Hey All,
    best place to ask all the questions here..... First time I will go deer hunting....
    tree stand already setup.....
    i put a trailcam.... Activity is good.... But big buck only comes at nite... Which definitely is not good.....

1) I have beretta shotgun..... What kind of ammo to use ?
    2) what time should we get on the stand ?
    3) bought a spray to neutralize smell... Is that helpful??
    4) doe urine.... Helpfull?
    1)What type of Beretta shotgun? Rifled barrel? Fixed choke? What chokes do you have?
    2)Usually 1 hour or more before sunrise
    3)Kinda, play the wind, the antiscent stuff isn't worth a dam if the deer are down wind of you
    4)Sometimes of the year yes, give it a shot but you might not want to put it too too close to the stand

Has all the answers

Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 PM

Challenger slugs 2 3/4", stay in the stand all day if you can, sight in your shotgun, shower in non-scented soap, use a scent eliminator spray, and natural animal urine is illegal to use. Use a synthetic urine. Be patient in the stand!

Has all the answers

Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 PM

For your first deer, don't be too picky! I wouldn't wait for the big boy. Shoot something to fill the freezer and to give you experience.

Just starting out

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by x_xeon_x View Post
    1)What type of Beretta shotgun? Rifled barrel? Fixed choke? What chokes do you have?
    2)Usually 1 hour or more before sunrise
    3)Kinda, play the wind, the antiscent stuff isn't worth a dam if the deer are down wind of you
    4)Sometimes of the year yes, give it a shot but you might not want to put it too too close to the stand
    Beretta A400Unico, regular barrel I don't think that's rifled. Chokes I have is number 1,3 and 5

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 02:51 PM

1. With a smooth bore barrel (not riffled) you want the largest choke diameter possible in it so it doesn't interfere with the slug as it leaves the barrel. For slugs (ammo) try a few different ones and see how well they pattern. You might want to start off with the cheapest valued slug and go up from there. All guns even same make and model can pattern differently with the same slugs. Start at 25 yds and go out from there. You may need more than one 5 round box for testing.

2. I usually get there right at first light, more of a safety thing for me but at times maybe 10 mins before legal light. Always walk in with a flashlight, you don't want to be mistaken for game.

3. Forget the cover up scent, play the wind (make sure the wind isn't blowing to where you expect the deer to come from.

4. Doe urine can work, set it up in a place where the deer will be able to smell it but not you.

Good luck and be safe
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Apprentice

Last Online
    Today @ 03:58 PM

Quote Originally Posted by mangat2000 View Post
    Beretta A400Unico, regular barrel I don't think that's rifled. Chokes I have is number 1,3 and 5
    For your A400 Unico (nice gun btw), use choke number 5 which is the cylinder I believe, make sure to double check in your manual. Use foster style slugs in your smooth bore, don't buy sabot slugs. Your accuracy at the range will tell you right away what you're going to be limited to distance wise, and on average its either 40,75, or 100 yards maximum. Start with the cheap grey box Winchester hollow point slugs. I've used those for bear hunting and they've done the trick.

Now at your stand, how far is the longest shot you're able to take? If its no more than 30-40 yards look into patterning some buckshot loads as well. Its a great load for close shots (35-40 yards tops and under). People will tell you this and that about buckshot being garbage, but those are the same people underestimating the distance of the deer and going beyond the limitations of the round. Or people who've had to track deer for someone who said they shot it at 25 yards and don't have the first hand experience of the actual capabilities. Always pattern buckshot before using it though, and don't push the range of the load otherwise you're going to be severely disappointed.

Borderline Spammer

Last Online
    Today @ 03:38 PM

Did you apply for the controlled deer hunt for your area? You haven't mentioned where you'll be hunting.

Just starting out

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mbhunter View Post
    Did you apply for the controlled deer hunt for your area? You haven't mentioned where you'll be hunting.
    Yes, I got the tag for antler or anterless......

Just starting out

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by x_xeon_x View Post
    For your A400 Unico (nice gun btw), use choke number 5 which is the cylinder I believe, make sure to double check in your manual. Use foster style slugs in your smooth bore, don't buy sabot slugs. Your accuracy at the range will tell you right away what you're going to be limited to distance wise, and on average its either 40,75, or 100 yards maximum. Start with the cheap grey box Winchester hollow point slugs. I've used those for bear hunting and they've done the trick.

Now at your stand, how far is the longest shot you're able to take? If its no more than 30-40 yards look into patterning some buckshot loads as well. Its a great load for close shots (35-40 yards tops and under). People will tell you this and that about buckshot being garbage, but those are the same people underestimating the distance of the deer and going beyond the limitations of the round. Or people who've had to track deer for someone who said they shot it at 25 yards and don't have the first hand experience of the actual capabilities. Always pattern buckshot before using it though, and don't push the range of the load otherwise you're going to be severely disappointed.
    Thanks for the info....
    max distance from stand will be 40yards.....

ADVERTISEMENT