Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Thread: Deer Rubs & Scrapes??

Loyal Member

Last Online
    October 19th, 2014 @ 07:25 PM

Default Deer Rubs & Scrapes??

Hey, Just wanted to know what you guys do when you see some rubs on the ground this time of year? What does it mean? I scouted a new proprety today and there was alot of rubs
    Thanks

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

Last Online
    Today @ 04:10 AM

A rub is one that is left on a tree. It'll look like something scratched the bark up. This time of year its done to leave a scent onto the tree.

A scrape is the clearings that you are seeing on the ground. They clear the leaves and usually urinate on their tarsal glands and leave that scent behind on the ground.

Basically it means there was a male deer there and he wants to get some.

I personally leave the scrape alone but would set up a stand overlooking it.

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 AM

Rub also a visual marker...not just scent as far as I know...

Not everyone agrees, but some pee on scrapes and it will attract curiosity. I tried it last week. The buck enlarged the scrape significantly after I did this.

Loyal Member

Last Online

Thanks X_Xeon_X for the clarification, what I saw was some scrapes

Loyal Member

Last Online
    January 13th, 2014 @ 02:30 PM

For me it really depends on the area im hunting that determines what i do with a scrape.. If im in farm country hunting seems to be alot easier as you can predict deer movement, so when i see a scrape it comfirms what i already know, that there are bucks around, but i would never hunt it as there are alot of other factors that are much more important to stand placement.. also, the majority of scrape checking is done at night, ive seen deer make scrapes in the day but its so inconsistant i wouldnt waist my time when there are more consistant factors that i feel give me better odds..

however, if im hunting up north in the big bush, and i find a scrape, i pay much more attention as its so hard to pattern deer its really hit or miss on picking a spot to hunt,,, so yes, if i find a scrape that looks like its being refreshed with a licking branch and all, i'll usualy set something up near it...

i dont deer hunt big woods much as i live in farm country so my deer hunting gets done close to home..

Loyal Member

Last Online

Thanks for all you reply I put my stand near some apple tree where they are feeding but still can see the scrape on a distance.

Loyal Member

Last Online

Ive never seen a deer walk up to a rub and smell it, or even look at it..deer definatly have a scent gland on their foreheads that leave scent on a rub, I'm just saying, ive never seen a deer show any attention to an already made rub.. thats what scrapes are for..

rubs are made from bucks getting ready for the rut, they rub off the velvet, "practice" fighting trees, strengthen their necks, also a dominance thing a buck will beat up a tree almost to say "dont mess with me look what i can do" ect ect.

normally you can find a "rub line", i dont personaly think deer make these lines with the thought of "making a line" it just so happens that deer have certain paths they like to take from bedding to feeding, they continue to use this path as they did all summer and when the time of year is right, they start rubbing tree's along their path.. if you find a nice rub, imagine the direction the deer would have to be facing to make it, continue in that direction and if you find another one on that "path" continue in that direction and you'll probbaly find another one. you've found a rub line.. think about what this path is connecting, if its between thick bedding cover and food, you can tell what time of day its being used, if the deer is facing away from the food on all the rubs you can conclude this is the path he takes in the morning to leave the feeding.. theres probably another "rub line" that goes towards the food, this is his evening route.. HOWEVER, because you just walked his rubline, looking for the next rub to verify it is in fact a rub line, you've now left your scent EVERYWHERE, if its an older, wiser deer, dont plan on that deer using that path anymore. youve effectivly f***ed it up..

Loyal Member

Last Online

Yeah that's why I dont like to walk in the wood during the hunting season because i'm sure they smell you everywhere you've been

Loyal Member

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RackHunter View Post
    Thanks for all you reply I put my stand near some apple tree where they are feeding but still can see the scrape on a distance.

you should check out your spot on google earth... assume the deer are bedding in the thickest stuff on your property, than look at the general path they would have to take from that thick stuff to the apple tree. when you hunt this apple tree, the ONLY way you will be successfull is if you hunt it when the wind is blowing in a such a way that your scent is being blown away from the path they will be taking and also the apple tree, also, when you walk to your stand your leaving a scent trail the whole time, so dont let that scent trail travel anywhere near the deer, sometime this means taking an extremely long route but its the only way.. if your in a spot that is surounded by bush, dont attempt any calling or lures as you will be screw'd, 9x out of 10 the deer will circle you downwind to smell whats making the noise before they come near it. THEY WILL SMELL YOU EVERY TIME! no exception to this, theres nothing you can do to stop them from smelling you, if they smell you its game over. you absolutly have to outsmart there nose which is impossible other than not letting your scent get to there nose, the only way to do this is possition yourself in a way they cant get down wind of you. if you cant acheive this, than still wait for that perfect wind but leave the calls at home, you cant give them any reason to circle down wind..

Loyal Member

Last Online

the best idea i ever had for always knowing what the wind is doing, is get some of that fake spider web halloween stuff, just a little bit, and tie it around your stabilizer (assuming your bowhunting and have a stabalizer lol) and stretch it out so its 6" long. even the slightest breeze will blow it around and the wind direction is instantly apparent... its my favourite homemade thing, works so well, way better than having to pull out a bottle of powder as this thing is "on" 100% of the time.. theres been times ive noticed the wind start swirling around so ive packed up and left knowing im doing more harm than good and would have never know this had i not had a permanant windicator to watch

ADVERTISEMENT