Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 for coyotes?

Loyal Member

Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 AM

Default 308 for coyotes?

Is a 308 too much gun for hunting coyotes? What set up do you use?

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

Last Online
    Today @ 07:53 PM

If you are looking to keep the hide its too much.

Post-a-holic

Last Online
    Today @ 06:50 PM

Oh ya, it's way to much gun for yotes. I use a 243, with 58 gr Hornady. That can be pretty brutal on hides as well. Guys in our group use 223, 22-250, 243 and 25-06. I started out with a Savage Axis, but found the bolt action to be way too slow for my liking. I have always used a pump rifle. The 223 rounds are about the easiest on your wallet as well !

Has too much time on their hands

Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM

Ontario has some caliber restrictions (.275 I believe) in some places.
    .308 is a little much unless you can handload a varmint type round or use Hornady 110 TAP if you can get it.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the groups I cannot shoot, the ability to dope the wind, and the wisdom to hide the bad targets.

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 PM

Depending on where you live or more importantly,where you hunt in southern Ontario,the largest caliber we can use is 7MM (.275). Definitive restrictions are shown in the summary specifically listing those municipalities where firearm sizes are limited. Most of the townships rely on provincial regulations rather than their own by-laws,but,some haven't re-written by-laws in twenty-five years,so those laws still apply. Whether they're actively enforced by the by-law officers remains to be seen. Most don't. In northern areas,many require a separate license,however,larger caliber rifles can be used if hide retention isn't a concern.

Post-a-holic

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Depending on where you live or more importantly,where you hunt in southern Ontario,the largest caliber we can use is 7MM (.275). Definitive restrictions are shown in the summary specifically listing those municipalities where firearm sizes are limited. Most of the townships rely on provincial regulations rather than their own by-laws,but,some haven't re-written by-laws in twenty-five years,so those laws still apply. Whether they're actively enforced by the by-law officers remains to be seen. Most don't. In northern areas,many require a separate license,however,larger caliber rifles can be used if hide retention isn't a concern.
    I dont mean to undermine but 7mm is beyond the limit. The rule goes by bullet diameter and 7mm bullets are really 7.2mm or .284. The largest common cartridge allowed in most of southern Ontario is .270. Again, not trying to stir it up...just hoping to save someone a headache. I know this because when I owned a 7mm I inquired about it through the MNR ask a C.O. service.

Post-a-holic

Last Online
    Today @ 06:50 PM

Actually it's .275 cal restrictions down south. But some municipalities limit discharge to .243 cal.
    Best to check local bylaw restrictions where you want to hunt. I don't understand the rationale for. .275 cal restrictions down south. In my opinion that's too heavy of a cal down here.

Post-a-holic

Last Online

.270 as largest common calibre that most people would commonly see, but yes .275 is right. I think its ridiculous how a .223 can go for miles is fine yet a .30/30 which basically has the ballistics of a shot gun slug isnt allowed. In my opinion the size should have nothing to do with it.......

Apprentice

Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 PM

I was always told they eliminated thirty cal due to the 303 British and all surplus ammo being used to shoot everything including hydro insulators after the war

Leads by example

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:29 PM

We mostly use 223's, although we have a few locations where shots could be in excess of 500 yards, I'll bring out my M700 LR setup in 308 for those days. The 223 just don't have the wallop past that range.
    If hunting is a sport, than I'm an athlete.

ADVERTISEMENT