Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GoPro For Recording Hunts - Is It Worth it? (Guys That Have Them)

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 PM

Default GoPro For Recording Hunts - Is It Worth it? (Guys That Have Them)

It was on my Christmas list this year, but I scratched it off and opted for some other gear, my birthday is less than a month away, and playing with the idea of putting it on there.

I'd like the Hero 3+ Black Edition, which retails at $512.99

My source tells me "cost" of the unit is $366.32 and he can pick it up for me at $384.64 so a savings of $128.35

All prices are taxes in, so given that I can get it for 20 bucks above cost, does it become worth it?

Any issues that you have with it, etc?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by TurkeyRookie; December 27th, 2013 at 12:44 PM.
    When you know better, you do better.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Go Hunt Birds Field Staff

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 07:00 PM

I dunno. Call me old fashioned ( well yes i am really ) but I find that the need to film everything about a hunt up to and including the kill is wrong. To me hunting is about being out there and soaking it in and when you kill something it doesn't need to be on tv or YouTube. I prefer to spend my money on a quality gun and the best gear for the job like boots coats etc. A tasteful picture of your harvest is nice but I don't feel the need to have the kids see an arrow punch through a deer. I blame the hunting television shows for this. Have no desire to be the next tv hunter. You do a great job TR of doing photo editorials of your outdoor adventures and sharing the fun of your young ones growing up. They make us old guys smile as we have fond memories of living that too with ours. My suggestion is invest in quality DSLR gear and use it to take as many pictures of your young pups growing up. They grow up way too fast.
    Last edited by terrym; December 27th, 2013 at 12:56 PM.

Post-a-holic

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM

with all the cash you have maybe lol I couldnt justify the 500 sheets for a recreational hunting cam myself, however I am considering maybe next year lookin at the spypoint xcel hd....looks decetn as well and has most of the features of the gopro...comes with all the accessories at half the price. But if you can already get a good deal on the go pro then may be worth it and you do a lot of hunting so might be more justifieable. I have a moultire reaction cam right now that just doesnt cut it!

Member for Life

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    I dunno. Call me old fashioned ( well yes i am really ) but I find that the need to film everything about a hunt up to and including the kill is wrong. To me hunting is about being out there and soaking it in and when you kill something it doesn't need to be on tv or YouTube. I prefer to spend my money on a quality gun and the best gear for the job like boots coats etc. A tasteful picture of your harvest is nice but I don't feel the need to have the kids see an arrow punch through a deer. I blame the hunting television shows for this. Have no desire to the next tv hunter. You do a great job TR of doing photo editorials of your outdoor adventures and sharing the fun of your young ones growing up. They make us old guys smile as we have fond memories of living that too with ours. My suggestion is invest in quality DSR gear and use it to take as many pictures of your young pups growing up. They grow up way too fast.
    I can certainly understand / appreciate what you're saying Terry, as for myself, I wasn't overly excited about them, until I got the dog. My main focus/interest would be capturing the dog work, whether that be the camera mounted in a fixed position, or onto the dog during her waterfowl retrieves.

I'd of course make use of it on the shutgun/bow, for a season end "montage" or video diary, not just the hunt / kill itself, but the event unfolding, the time lapse drive, camp setup, meeting with the guys, etc. Whether that ever gets published / shared outside my group remains to be seen, just thinking it be a nice addition to my photos and journals.

At full price, I couldn't justify spending it myself, or others on me, but at that kind of price opportunity, it's becoming attractive.

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 07:00 PM

I was actually going to edit my post to include the dog work as that to me has value. I guess I'm just tired of seeing "another" video of a deer doing the death kick as an arrow whistles through it. That doesn't seem to be your objective though. In fact mounting the cameras on the dog would be slick as hell.

Leads by example

Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 PM

Hey there TR, I got a GoPro Hero3 Black Edition for Christmas. Got it set up and there seems to be a lot of glitches or something going on here. Not at all impressed with this unit. Spent over 4 frustrating hours yesterday trying to get this unit to take video, Had video at first then just a voice in video mode. Then when the wi-fi remote was shut off it would turn itself on and off many times. Started looking at many reviews on many websites and the overall impression I got was this unit is not worth it. I was quite excited about getting this for Christmas but not going to try to deal with this thing anymore. Going back to get the cash back and maybe put it towards a compound bow.

outback

Member for Life

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by outback View Post
    Hey there TR, I got a GoPro Hero3 Black Edition for Christmas. Got it set up and there seems to be a lot of glitches or something going on here. Not at all impressed with this unit. Spent over 4 frustrating hours yesterday trying to get this unit to take video, Had video at first then just a voice in video mode. Then when the wi-fi remote was shut off it would turn itself on and off many times. Started looking at many reviews on many websites and the overall impression I got was this unit is not worth it. I was quite excited about getting this for Christmas but not going to try to deal with this thing anymore. Going back to get the cash back and maybe put it towards a compound bow.

outback
    hey Steve thanks for the heads up, I have been reading reviews and a lot of them are mixed. Some folks with "issues" where able to get them resolved by updating the firmware, others ended up with a brick after doing the updates.

But investing that much into a device would certainly be frustrating to have those kinds of issues.

Needs a new keyboard

Last Online
    Today @ 05:42 PM

I have a slightly older Go Pro, use it mostly on my helmet when snowmobiling. Worked great for that. I had it attached to me during the moose hunt, but all I had was video of hiking through the bush. Not that it wasn't a beautiful place to hike through, but no shots of wildlife. Of course, it was turned off when I finally came across a bull on the trail, but then no tag for it either!
    20 months without a smoke.
    My house is protected from zombies. I put a row of treadmills all the way around it!

Member for Life

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by outback View Post

outback
    Hey Steve, did some more reading tonight,

Question,

What type of memory card are you using? Seems to be a lot of issues with memory cards, more so if you are using one that is not capable of achieving the required write speeds for the cameras output.

As well seems to be a known issue using San Disk Cards.

Here is a link to an article and the recommended cards to use.

Issues range from only getting 10 minutes of video, to no video at all and only audio, etc.

Might be worth a look.

http://havecamerawilltravel.com/phot...ck-memory-card

From GoPro's website

Not all Class 10 microSD cards have the same data write speeds. If you plan to shoot in 4k, 2.7k, or Protune video modes with your HERO3: Black Edition or HERO3+ Black Edition camera, we recommend using one of the following microSD cards for the best performance:

• SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSDHC (SDSDQX-032G)
    • SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC (SDSDQX-064G)
    • Lexar 32GB SDHC 600x (LSDMI32GBSBNA600R)
    • Lexar 64GB SDXC 300x (LSDMI64GBBNL300R)
    • Delkin 32GB SDHC (DDMICROSDPRO2-32GB)
    • Delkin 64GB SDXC (DDMICROSDPRO264GB)
    • Samsung 64GB SDXC (MB-MGCGB/AM)

Can get the SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC (SDSDQX-064G) on Amazon for $85

http://www.amazon.ca/Lexar-microSDXC.../dp/B00A4A1TY2
    Last edited by TurkeyRookie; December 28th, 2013 at 12:01 AM.

Just starting out

Last Online
    April 25th, 2014 @ 05:17 AM

they are a piece of crap. I have had one for 3 years now but have had nothing but problems with it. I have shot some great video with it but the problems with the add ons, WiFi bacpac and batteries that don't last lead me to believe that the consumer is the one doing the R&D.

A buddy of mine bought one of the new Garmin Virb this year and this thing really is amazing for shooting video and still pics. One of the things I liked is that they put the viewing screen on the top so you can hold it in front and see and it has image stabalization and a very long battery life compared to the gopro.

virb.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT