Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GoPro For Recording Hunts - Is It Worth it? (Guys That Have Them)

Member for Life

Last Online
    September 15th, 2014 @ 06:02 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys, given the info provided here, and some PM's and outside re-search I think I've made my decision. Thanks again.
    When you know better, you do better.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Go Hunt Birds Field Staff

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 05:21 PM

Hawgripper, please dont take this wrong. It could very easily be read the wrong way. Im not the best with words and I shoot from the hip

They are not crap. Far from it.

Two of those, I took with my Go Pro 3 black
    Two of those, I took with camera equipment that cost me near $10,000

Can you tell me which, is which?

Everything has limitations. A Cessna cant fly at mach speed or at 30,000 feet, a Jet can. Is a cessna crap.
    Stay within the Go Pros limitations and they are very good. Imo for this kind of unit/camera for me, not neccessarily everyone, the best out there. I looked at them all.

Jason, the differences between the units in this space are neglible. Not for me to push you one way or the other. I think I know where you want to go with it. My question is

Why not do it......istead of why do it.

Do I take pictures that are tasteless? Dont tell the stories? hero shot after hero shot?

Vids are very good. Hard on your computers, memory space etc.
    Stills are good.

Its a $400-$500 camera that is wickedly versatile. I sure wouldn't want to do a lot of things that I use my Go Pro for......with my other stuff, including my $400 very good Point and Shoot. I will grab the GP3 before it.
    Last edited by JBen; January 8th, 2014 at 11:23 AM.

Member for Life

Last Online

Almost forgot.
    Battery life isnt great. Then again they are small, you are asking a ton of from it and your paying $400 all in.
    The camera that took one of the pics above? One battery for it, just one would buy me a Go Pro.
    Keep it charged, stay within its limitations, maybe buy a spare ( I always have spares for everything).

WiFi
    When you get the black you get everything you need. You can buy the silver and add the WiFi later.
    Wifi will drain your battery faster...Why wouldnt it? Your adding more load.

Hang up.
    Had them when I first bought it (this time last year), firmware resolved it. I think Ive had 2 maybe 3 freezes since. What the big deal? I remove the battery pop it back in and bobs my uncle.

Cards.
    Minimum class 10, imo atleast 16gig. Video will eat space fast.

Member for Life

Last Online
    September 15th, 2014 @ 06:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by JBen View Post
    Hawgripper, please dont take this wrong. It could very easily be read the wrong way. Im not the best with words and I shoot from the hip

They are not crap. Far from it.

Two of those, I took with my Go Pro 3 black
    Two of those, I took with camera equipment that cost me near $10,000

Can you tell me which, is which?

Everything has limitations. A Cessna cant fly at mach speed or at 30,000 feet, a Jet can. Is a cessna crap.
    Stay within the Go Pros limitations and they are very good. Imo for this kind of unit/camera for me, not neccessarily everyone, the best out there. I looked at them all.

Jason, the differences between the units in this space are neglible. Not for me to push you one way or the other. I think I know where you want to go with it. My question is

Why not do it......istead of why do it.

Do I take pictures that are tasteless? Dont tell the stories? hero shot after hero shot?

Vids are very good. Hard on your computers, memory space etc.
    Stills are good.

Its a $400-$500 camera that is wickedly versatile. I sure wouldn't want to do a lot of things that I use my Go Pro for......with my other stuff, including my $400 very good Point and Shoot. I will grab the GP3 before it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBen View Post
    Almost forgot.
    Battery life isnt great. Then again they are small, you are asking a ton of from it and your paying $400 all in.
    The camera that took one of the pics above? One battery for it, just one would buy me a Go Pro.
    Keep it charged, stay within its limitations, maybe buy a spare ( I always have spares for everything).

WiFi
    When you get the black you get everything you need. You can buy the silver and add the WiFi later.
    Wifi will drain your battery faster...Why wouldnt it? Your adding more load.

Hang up.
    Had them when I first bought it (this time last year), firmware resolved it. I think Ive had 2 maybe 3 freezes since. What the big deal? I remove the battery pop it back in and bobs my uncle.

Cards.
    Minimum class 10, imo atleast 16gig. Video will eat space fast.
    Great info JBen I appreciate the feedback, and I have seen your GP photo's and they take great shots. I had made up my mind I am going to get one.

The Black 3+

If I don't get it in a couple weeks for my birthday, I got some rainy money stashed away in an empty drive bay of my NAS lol I'll go get it myself.

As for the cards, as I had mentioned in my initial research, class 10 yes, unfortunately, class 10 isn't a locked down standard, and the specs vary from vendor to vendor.

I am going to grab the one off GoPro's recommended list, should I have any issues, at least I can say I am "compliant"

SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC (SDSDQXL-064G)

I was debating the battery options, whether to get a backpack and bigger battery, but given the application (while hunting, on the dog etc) the camera will be "with me" so to speak, so swapping out a battery isn't a huge deal, and they don't really cost much.

Looking forward to getting it
    When you know better, you do better.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Go Hunt Birds Field Staff

Elite Member

Last Online
    Today @ 07:50 AM

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    I was actually going to edit my post to include the dog work as that to me has value. I guess I'm just tired of seeing "another" video of a deer doing the death kick as an arrow whistles through it. That doesn't seem to be your objective though. In fact mounting the cameras on the dog would be slick as hell.
    I agree with the direction you have taken, but on the other hand if you had footage of your shot it may help in recovery.
    If you record it you may have a better indicator of a hit and how hard the hit was, in the case of big game.
    I know I trimmed the hair off a doe this fall, if it were filmed I may have been able to slow it down and see just a little better what happened.
    On another note, sliding down a mud slope and landing on your gun can knock it off zero, but keeping my surgically repaired knee from being screwed up again was well worth the miss.

Member for Life

Last Online

Any trouble at all Jason I'm just a call/txt away. Still with a little editing can be fantastic

Member for Life

Last Online

Guys
    1 note. They all use in essence a fish eye lens. As such it can make things seem a lot further away than they actually are. Not saying you can't/shouldn't use them that way. Don't be dissapointed if the WT, Bear, Geese look tiny

am on my phone, so can't really include another image, but I've posted images from my Dec WT hunt. I had the GP on my scope looking down the rails of my bow. The Does pictured are 60 yards and 40 yards in the other.

Once ce you start playing with them, trying some really cool/imaginative stuff you'll learn their strengths and weakness. The trick is to stay within their limits as much as you can.

ADVERTISEMENT