Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orange hunting packs

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Default Orange hunting packs

My rant:

Why is it that pack manufacturers almost never make a quality, silent pack in blaze orange? What's the use in having a silent camo pack that you have to slip an orange vest over to comply with the law of the land? I have an awesome camo one that I use for duck hunting, but the orange one I found a few years ago for deer hunting leaves much to be desired?
    Learn all you can about nature. What we don't understand, we fear and what we fear, we destroy.
    Teach a young person to hunt and fish, after all, someone taught you.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Orange hunting packs

X2

I totally agree. I've spent the last five seasons trying to find a quality blaze orange pack with no luck. I have a cheap single pouch blaze pack that I got about 7 years ago when I started hunting. it keeps me legal, hate not having multiple pockets to help organize gear.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Just type Blaze Orange BackPack into Google.
    Lots of models available.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Do you HAVE to slip orange onto it? I don't believe so...

From OHEP

The hunter orange garment must cover a minimum of 400 square inches (2,580 square cm) above the waist and be visible from all sides.
    Long as you have 400 sq inches, and is visible from all sides, you're legal... unless your pack is covering your entire backside, long as you have the required amount, you are fine, (how I interpret that)

Now for safety sakes, that's another story.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Canadian Waterfowl Supplies Pro Staff | Go Hunt Birds Field Staff

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I agree with TR. Carry an old green surplus pack that doesn't really cover much.....

Just starting out

User Info Menu

My backpack isn't orange, I just wear a orange jacket, mnr didn't care that my bag wasn't orange

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Oh oh.... this topic is up again? Don't need an orange backpack under the regs. This should be worth about 10 pages or so?

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Answer I got from ask a CO a while back:

Hello,

I'm curious about blaze orange requirements when wearing a backpack. Obviously, a backpack will cover up a significant portion of the blaze orange vest. Would you consider this as having less than the required 400 sq inches of visible material? Are there other variables to consider? I suppose a 250 lb man would have more visible blaze than someone who is 150 lb. It came up in a discussion recently and would like to have some clarification.

Thanks,

Greg

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for the delay in responding to your email.

As long as you are wearing the required 400 square inches there should be no problem. You should remember however that wearing a backpack that covers a large portion of your hunter orange makes you less visible to other hunters. You may choose to purchase an orange backpack or cover your existing backpack with a piece of orange fabric or an orange vest.

We hope you have found this information helpful. If you require further assistance contact the Natural Resources Information Centre toll free at 1-800-667-1940.

Regards,

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I put a cheap universal hunter vest over my pack.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Stick some Velcro on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast