Ontario OUT OF DOORS

Thread: Deer bleat calls?

Post-a-holic

Last Online
    July 8th, 2014 @ 08:54 PM

Question Deer bleat calls?

Was thinking of buying one but would like some input on how well these calls work and when to use them? ive been looking at the can bleat call... (EZ gravity bleat) and a couple others. thankls hunter 10

2. # ADS

ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

Last Online
    Today @ 04:12 PM

I got one of those can bleat calls (primos I think), just picked it up last year after the season, did not get a chance to try it. From what I have heard they are most effective at the beginning of the season and on does.... I will give it a try this year and see what happens... I plan on using it when I have a deer in sight and out of range and try and draw her in....

You might want to consider a grunt call if you don't have one already... I have had great success with the grunt call later on in the season calling in bucks...
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Post-a-holic

Last Online

thanks fratri! i have a grunt call but am not all that good at using it,yes they are simple but i have a knight and hale one that doesnt seem to be all that good of one.. i can make the sound but im not all that consistent with it.. does the bleat call work for bucks as well?

Apprentice

Last Online
    February 18th, 2013 @ 01:27 PM

I have a calling tube that you dial in the sound you want I think it is a primos. It works excellent. I also use the estreus bleat in a can. I use it usually during the rut. Generally i use a doe identity call all season as it will attract deer all year. There is a dvd called "the callmasters Vocal whitetail" made by woodswise. This is a great dvd and has helped me plenty. You can buy it at the nook in London for 15.00 I think.

Post-a-holic

Last Online

ok thanks glenpinpat i will take a look as i am going to the nook soon to get my bow tuned in beofre deer season. thanks for the help

Borderline Spammer

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:26 AM

They work GREAT on doe's and fawn's anytime of the year, they work well also adding them to a serie's of call's and rattling when cahsing a buck.

Elite Member

Last Online
    July 25th, 2014 @ 10:12 PM

I've used a Primos can as well as other bleats to pull does and fawns right in close. I haven't brought a buck in yet, but I know others who have. This fall I'm looking forward to fully testing a Quaker Boy Squeeze 'n' Bleat that I picked up late last season. Its a can call, but it can be operated with a lot less movement and it allows you to vary your calling.
    What calm deer hunter’s heart has not skipped a beat when the silence of a cold November morning afield is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?

Borderline Spammer

Last Online
    May 20th, 2014 @ 11:06 AM

I used one last year had does and fawns come in several times and used it to stop them and come back in after I dropped shells on my metal tree stand. Dont drop them in water they never work once you do that, found that out last year too.

Post-a-holic

Last Online

so for my understanding a good start when buying deer calls is to get one of these bleat calls, a grunt tube and a pair of rattle antlers or rattling bag. this will be my first year being in my stand myself doing my own calling so im just curious..

Member for Life

Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 PM

I would hold of using any calls until you have a deer in sight. Then see how they respond to a low volume call. That's how I found that most calls don't work and for the most part actually frighten deer into leaving the area.

I usually have clear visiblity of 8-9 deer in the field next to my stand and I've tried out the Primos can calls on various ocaasions at differant times of the year and have never had any of them respond.

Better luck just sitting and waiting for traffic to move under your stand, because once you've spooked them, they will not come to your area.
    "All hope abandon ye who enter here. "...Dante'

ADVERTISEMENT