Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing - Killarney Provincial Park - La Cloche Silhouette Trail

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    ik0n,

Just wondering if you made it Cave Lk yet, and if so, what if anything did you catch?

I'll be up there fishing this week on the evenings of the 22nd, 23rd (camping in H5) and maybe the 24th (H6).

TiA

The Lurker
    Interested to know if you had any luck...

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Fishing in Cave Lake, Killarney P.P.

Quote Originally Posted by ik0n View Post
    Interested to know if you had any luck...
    Just got back home last night. I stayed at the H5 campsite, where there's a marsh with noisy toads and lots of weeds to the left.

Caught a few, very small Bluegills (7cm to 10cm in length) and then switched to a Red Devil lure and caught a baby Largemouth Bass (10cm), and that was it. There's a bit of seaweed growth in the lake because I kept pulling the stuff in with longer casts. The Bluegills swim right up to your toes if you step in the water, which is very clear and cool. Bring lots of AfterBite with you.

Enjoy,
    The Lurker

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Skitters were bad? We went same time last year with very little issues.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

From what I heard, this year's hotter. So the Skeeters and Horseflies, especially, are very aggressive. I had lots of welts all over me. No blackflies, though, but in the town of Killarney, the no-see-ums are there and man, can they bite. I plan to go back in the fall time after all the bugs are dead and hike further in, maybe challenge "The Pig Portage".

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    From what I heard, this year's hotter. So the Skeeters and Horseflies, especially, are very aggressive. I had lots of welts all over me. No blackflies, though, but in the town of Killarney, the no-see-ums are there and man, can they bite. I plan to go back in the fall time after all the bugs are dead and hike further in, maybe challenge "The Pig Portage".
    Thanks for the tip. Cheers.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Got back this afternoon from our hike.

Our first day was a long day. Boundary Lake H35 was very nice and seemed to have a number of fish feeding at dusk on water bugs (not sure what the fish were but there were a number of decent sized splashes). Bugs weren't much of an issue here.

Second night at H21 on Lake of Three Narrows was also nice but there were red ants and LOTS of deer flies down at the water who swarmed us as soon as we got out of the water from our swim; not our experience from last year.

Third night on Cave lake H6 was great. A few mosquitoes but definitely didn't experience the deer flies like you did... the blue gill were there again to greet us at the water and would nip at your toes if you dangled your feet in the water.

Wish I had taken some fishing gear to make a few casts but also glad I didn't to save on weight. About 7km from H6 on our 3rd day (which was supposed to be our easiest day) my knee started to give me alot of trouble so I had to pop some Tylenol and wrap it tight with a tensor, made it there but it really slowed our pace.

For anyone reading this and thinking of hiking the LA Cloche Silhouette trail I'd definitely recommend it. Stunning views and if you want to make it one, it can be a great challenge. Saw some deer, grouse and a fox. No moose or bear.

Unfortunately there are some people who use the trails who aren't familiar with Leave No Trace (LNT) practices and there was some garbage at some of the campsites we were at. Especially H6 where we found a can of sun screen and about 5 or 6 cans of some kind of Brunswick canned fish in the fire pit.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

ik0n,

Welcome back. Sounds like you had a good trek despite your knee problem. I'm something of a bug magnet, especially the skeeters, but I'm already planning a fall trip after the bugs are gone. I have to try hiking up that "Pig Portage" as they call it and go a little beyond and then back. I won't be able to do the full loop (I like to take my time, stop for pictures, etc.) so I'm limited to about four or five days.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

My buddy is a video editor and shot some VR footage. It turned out pretty cool. You can click and hold and drag to look around like on Google Street view. .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=BuOfeV3-26Y

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12