Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powerbelt alternatives for CVA

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Powerbelt alternatives for CVA

Anybody getting good results in their CVA with something other than Powerbelts? I have an older "Optima Pro" (29 inch barrel) and my hunting load in recent years has been 2 x T7 pellets and a 270 grain Powerbelt Platinum.

I've had very mixed results with Powerbelts. Some have performed exactly as they're supposed to and some have fragmented badly upon impact. I've read that speed can be the problem with Powerbelts and have been considering dropping back the charge a bit and going with the heavier copper Powerbelt, but I'm thinking I'd like to get away from them altogether. I'd still like to stick with pellets for powder.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I know a couple guys that have tried the powerbelts but don't like them. Most of my buddies use the hornady SST 250gr. but one guy with optima switched to the federals with B.O.R Lock and says he finds them as accurate as the hornadys but with less fouling than the sabots. I think most of them use the white hot pellets as well.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

.300gr XTP. Bang flop!!!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I use the Hornady 250 gr SSTs, but I have only shot one deer with them. The slug did the job on standard shot at an adult doe at about 45 yards. Through the rib, through the far side shoulder and exited. The deer ran maybe 30 yards and died quickly. The exit hole was probably about the same diameter as the slug because I only found the exit hole when butchering it. Until that point, I thought the bullet hadn't exited. Accuracy with the bullets is pretty good.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestions so far, should help narrow things down and keep costs lower during future experimentation.

"where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Member for Life

User Info Menu

With my CVA Wolf I use two of the 7's and a Hornady 300 gr SST bullet.... Good groups out to 100 yds and the 1/2 dozen or so deer I shot with this combo, I don't think I had one go over 30 yds....
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

User Info Menu

GW11
    Where are you? If your close I’ll give you a few combo’s to try if you like.
    Sabot fit is key.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    GW11
    Where are you? If your close I’ll give you a few combo’s to try if you like.
    Sabot fit is key.
    Appreciate the offer! We're close I think, I'll send you a PM.

​- Ernest Hemingway

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

In my Optima magnum I've had really good accuracy with 2 triple seven mag pellets 120gr, and Thompson shockwave 250gr. That and the Hornady SST250 gr were both really good.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Over the years I have had several bad experiences with Powerbelts blowing up but I liked them for the ease of loading. After a couple instances of blowing up, I switched to Hornady 300 grn SST both in my black powder and my smokeless ML.

I have killed about 10 deer with the SST and 2 moose (130 and 160 yards with smokeless) and those bullets and they have never let me down. It is a no brainer in my mind.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast