Thread: 28 gauge slugs

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default 28 gauge slugs

For hunters looking for 28 gauge slugs.

Ellwood Epps is probably the only gun shop in Canada that carries 28 gauge slugs, made by Challenger in Montreal. They have a lot of them, had to do a special order. Box of 25 for $54.99 and 912 boxes available.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Are they legal for deer in Ontario?

I thoughy 20 gauge was the smallest allowed. I don't know.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Muskyhunter View Post
    Are they legal for deer in Ontario?

I thoughy 20 gauge was the smallest allowed. I don't know.
    slug yes, shot no. There is a recent .410 thread for more info
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Just starting out

User Info Menu

You may even use a .410 slug for deer hunting in Ontario.

According to "Ask a CO" in OOD Hunting Annual 2014-2015.
    "You may only use a .410 to hunt deer if you are using slugs. Section 75 of Ontario Regulation 665/98 (Hunting) under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act 1997 states: A person shall not use a rifle known as a rim-fire rifle, a shotgun smaller than 20 gauge when loaded with shot , or any shotgun loaded with shot smaller than SG or number one buck for hunting big game."

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They had made these in 12ga and 20ga, oh how I want them to make them in 16ga and 410, seeing that they added 28ga gives me hope.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I did not know that.

Thank you.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    They had made these in 12ga and 20ga, oh how I want them to make them in 16ga and 410, seeing that they added 28ga gives me hope.

For my 16 gauge I picked up .600 Round Ball mold. Oddly enough at a gun show i was looking for 16 gauge shells, to get cases to load. A guy had a couple of box of 16 gauge ammunition to sell so I bought them. When I got home an check things over the one box contained 25 Canuck 16 gauge 1 oz. slugs. You say they are not offering them any more?
    Wow, I must have really lucked in.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    For my 16 gauge I picked up .600 Round Ball mold. Oddly enough at a gun show i was looking for 16 gauge shells, to get cases to load. A guy had a couple of box of 16 gauge ammunition to sell so I bought them. When I got home an check things over the one box contained 25 Canuck 16 gauge 1 oz. slugs. You say they are not offering them any more?
    Wow, I must have really lucked in.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    Rifled slugs are offered, attached wad slugs that are significantly more accurate are not.