Thread: Ruger American Ranch 5.56 NATO

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Ruger American Ranch 5.56 NATO

Well I finally broke down and purchased my son and I the Girsan 9mm I had been talking about and hoping to soon maybe go to the range.

I'm looking at one more purchase over the winter possibly if I get the side contract cutting a bush lot.

Since the Semi auto Ruger ranch rifle is now banned (I had wanted one since I was a kid). I am thinking about the Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 / 223. It's bolt action 5 shot mag, wish they made them with a wood stock, has a 16.5 inch barrel.
    Has anyone tried this rifle or have one? What do you think of it.

https://wanstallsonline.com/firearms...nch-5-56-nato/

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

A 16.5" 223 will be loud

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I kinda had a hankering for the Semi Ruger Ranch it looked like a pretty neat rifle could never figure out why it had not been on the hit list from day one.GW would you use it for hunting or target or both.I am pretty frugal so would not spend on a unit like this because I would not use it much.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Will very likely be a quality rifle from Ruger, but I second the loudness part. With that short a barrel expect that 223 to sound like a 300wm went off. Also less velocity and energy, something to consider if buying for hunting.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It would be used for target and Coyote

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I've examined and shot one. Underwhelmed. I would much prefer a Tikka T3x Lite or CZ527 over the Ruger.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I would prefer a short barrel, I also see this and it has a laminate wood stock.

https://wanstallsonline.com/firearms...-vortex-scope/

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I would prefer a short barrel, I also see this and it has a laminate wood stock.

https://wanstallsonline.com/firearms...-vortex-scope/
    The American ranch is a solid little rifle and they are quite capable of exceptional accuracy. I’ve shot a buddies extensively at the range and I was skeptical at first but now I’m looking into getting an American as a winter coyote gun to spare my old wood and blued coyote slayer the crappy days. I won’t be buying a ranch myself as the one thing I don’t like is the magazine protruding in a hunting rifle. That and they are pretty much the same weight as the 22 inch barrel rifles even with the short tube. I’ve also handled the American predators although not shot one. Another nice rifle if you don’t mind the mag protruding.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

The browning blr in .223 would also be worth a look. Compact, fast shooting and very accurate.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Take a look at the Ruger Scout in .223. Takes my AR mags which is a bonus!