Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End of season push

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I too have a buck AND a doe tag. I've been out 15 times in the last 3 1/2 weeks. I'm limited to one spot really, as every area I scouted had either stands or blinds. I put corn/molasses feed out and have replenished 5 times. Squirrels and Jays seemed to be the only thing at the bait up until last Thurs. I had buck and doe tracks finally, but nothing came fri/sat or Sunday. I'm really hoping can connect by the end of the month, as I know I've definitely put in the effort this year....and it could be my first with a bow....
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks for the great ideas. I've got a couple of days off tomorrow and Wednesday so will give it another go!

Cold front coming in on Christmas day of course haha.

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LiveBates View Post
    I too have a buck AND a doe tag. I've been out 15 times in the last 3 1/2 weeks. I'm limited to one spot really, as every area I scouted had either stands or blinds. I put corn/molasses feed out and have replenished 5 times. Squirrels and Jays seemed to be the only thing at the bait up until last Thurs. I had buck and doe tracks finally, but nothing came fri/sat or Sunday. I'm really hoping can connect by the end of the month, as I know I've definitely put in the effort this year....and it could be my first with a bow....
    I would keep an eye on the areas with stands throughout the season, 90% of stands I find on these public spots are only used during the controlled hunt. Also, consider if you have bait down there's likely other people that have found it and possibly disturbed the area while you aren't there. I hunt very busy areas and I know the frustration when you put in the effort only to find sign of others close by. Not to mention small game hunters also share the best spots for deer.

It's all just an extra challenge, I started bow hunting this year because years of small game hunting gave me good insight into the properties I frequent, it doesn't seem to have given me any advantage since I've put many hours effort without even an encounter.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Now that they've found your bait, top it up sparingly to encourage them to keep checking the spot. A big bait pile seems to afford them the luxury of only feeding at night. When the days get cold they won't be able to resist coming in for a bite and a warm up... at least in theory!
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Try to set up on the mostly used trail, leading to the bait,to change things up.Maybe 40-100 yards away from it,within good shooting range..........watch the wind though...

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips ....I appreciate it.
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I also have a buck tag, I will try to push more to go outside before dec 29, but probably I will go south west, this area has alot of games

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I go out scouting almost every day, all year round, even though I already filled my tag. I saw 2 does in my area the day after bow season ended. It's like they know. It seems like there are a lot fewer deer in area 46 the last few years. I suspect it's too many people, too many wolves, and too many hunters in the area. Also the warm weather has delayed the move to the winter yards. The only thing hitting my bait piles was squirrels, blue jays and bear.
    I'm an indirect vegetarian... I eat plants... and herbivories.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

We see the same thing in 47, as soon as Dec 15th passes we see a lot more deer during the day on trail cams. It's almost as if they know!

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12