Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blewwww it!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Exciting hunt! That's what keeps you hooked!

Sounds like you'll connect in no time on that property.
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yup, Chalk it up as a learning lesson. I can think back of all the mistakes I've made over the years, Its when ya learn from it and make it count the next time and it all comes together makes it all that much sweeter. Enjoyed the story, Can relate to it a lot, It happens.

Good luck in the last weeks!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

One thing to take away is-this is the : one that got away........sucks for sure,but You will likely have a second crack at one of those 5 bucks........beats sitting for 4 years,100 hrs a year to see total 2 bucks,even if this one was the : one that got away.
    Good thing at the end You missed it. Nightmare would start after wounding such an animal(any animal for that matter-but this is something else)
    Good memories

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Great story and nice hunt.... too bad it didn't quite work out as you hoped. It happens to us all, hunting and excitement go hand in hand
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Hunts like that keep the fire in your belly burning hot. Good luck!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing!! Sounds like a great hunt to me regardless of no harvest!!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    Hunts like that keep the fire in your belly burning hot. Good luck!
    Very true! I had my first buck walk under my stand when I was 13, didn't get a chance to shoot him. I was hooked ever since then.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

What grunt where u using, Rutting, basic, young,

I would not think to grunt this time of year, especially with that many bucs already around

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quaker Boy Brawler - I'll admit it was a bit of hail mary move. They were far away and I didn't know if they would cover that distance in the amount of time that was left. So I let out a couple soft contact grunts and lo and behold a couple of them came over. Now whether or not they were just heading that direction anyway or if the calling worked we'll never know.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ride.lift.shoot View Post
    Quaker Boy Brawler - I'll admit it was a bit of hail mary move. They were far away and I didn't know if they would cover that distance in the amount of time that was left. So I let out a couple soft contact grunts and lo and behold a couple of them came over. Now whether or not they were just heading that direction anyway or if the calling worked we'll never know.
    That's a typical situation in which you use a grunt so you did the right thing considering you didn't know the bucks were nearby. You see deer heading away from you at a distance, you grunt. Any call or rattle is basically a hail mary move on deer. They only ever "work" on peak rut times, they're not exactly turkeys. But it never hurts to try. You still have 9 days left! Get out there. Last day of the season always seems to be a lucky day.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast