Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blewwww it!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Very interesting recount of the hunt. It's nice you got an opportunity to hunt a less pressured area. Public land is tough.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Well last night I got a little bit of redemption; it wasn't the big bruiser but I managed to tag a sheepish forkie. With the season winding down, and trying to build a base of experience still I am happy with it. I do think that if I continue hunting this spot next year, I can take the opportunity to be selective and hopefully maintain a good caliber of deer on the property and let the little ones grow.

It was windy as heck, and typically if the deer come to the field they've been showing up around 4:30. At about 5 the winds seemed to get heavier and I thought nothings going to happen so I did a scan, stood up to uncock, and as I'm about to start pulling I see a doe walking past. I sit back down, practice range finding without fogging it up, and then a second doe is following I do the same, and right behind them is a forkie. Compared to my previous sit, this is pretty uneventful. I gave him a "mehh" at 34 yards and pulled the trigger after the shot he ran a big horseshoe through the field and ended up piling up inside the bushline. Very grateful for the opportunity, and to share the experience with forum member and friend Thrillhouse. Big thanks for his help when all the work really started. Also feels good to shake the feeling of being a missing puttz, but it happens, and I'm sure it will happen again one day, but for now happy with having some meat in the freezer

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Congrats! You were going to uncock the xbow with 15 mins of light left?! Well that's just silly. haha. Glad it worked out for you man. Great way to finish the season in the final days
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Congratulations man, well done

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nice going getting a deer, congrats.... There will be some good eats
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Way to go! Tagging a late season deer takes some perseverance.
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well done, I can understand pulling the plug before last legal time but those last 15 minutes are critical IMHO, its pretty daunting to know your have a after dark follow up so its a real crap shoot. Up my way the coyotes are almost definitely taking your meat, so well done on the recovery.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Good for you. Congrats.
    I never leave or start moving around till after legal.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Consider it learning pains...and hopefully you learn from this moving forward
    It took me countless sits and hours before I was able to get hold of my "buck fever"/emotions scenario before I was able to start connecting....give it time & experience

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

And now you're really hooked.! Good story. And that's hunting

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast