Thread: This summer bass season.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default This summer bass season.

Well happy first day of WINTER, good day to reflect on the past Bass season.

For me I got out probably three day's a week all through the season, pretty good year biggest largemouth was a tad over 3lbs,not bad for a small lake. No problem limiting out for most of the early season most everything in the 2lb range.

Smallmouth a bit scarce this season buy I did land a few good perch.

How did the rest of you folk's do.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Sounds like a great time how do you fry up your bass?

My only fishing trip got cancelled lol.

I did fish the may walleye opener and did very well landing 21 or 23 in a short 3 hours only 3 keeper lol. Tried again before the season closes an took a skunk.

I was planning a trip north after Xmas but again postponed them plans for now lol.

I might walk out for a perch fish next week but I will be walking from the house. No unnecessary travel lol just going for a walk.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I fry the bass in olive oil with chopped organic garlic on a pretty high heat and flip them after a couple of minutes, I find they cook real fast. But plenty fresh they are basically still twitching when they hit the pan. LOL

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Well, I didn’t get out as much as I would have liked, but my son seemed to do pretty well off the dock at my parents place.

I have heard that Couchiching is fabulous for perch in early spring - wanted to go this past April but of course couldn’t , hopefully this year
    “You have enemies ? Good. It means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life”: Winston Churchill

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I am right on a private community pond that has tons of little largemouth that are a nuisance, since they are overcrowded and, thus, small. I kept a few this summer in the 8-11" range (really small) to eat, and the meat was very, very surprisingly good. I think it's because they're so small, so they don't acquire any off taste.

Do you fillet your bass or gut and cook whole? I tried both, but I preferred filleting the bigger ones. I got them boneless and they cooked nicely. I was really surprised how good they taste at that size.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG1 View Post
    I am right on a private community pond that has tons of little largemouth that are a nuisance, since they are overcrowded and, thus, small. I kept a few this summer in the 8-11" range (really small) to eat, and the meat was very, very surprisingly good. I think it's because they're so small, so they don't acquire any off taste.

Do you fillet your bass or gut and cook whole? I tried both, but I preferred filleting the bigger ones. I got them boneless and they cooked nicely. I was really surprised how good they taste at that size.
    Always fillet them and if they are not fried in oil I use Brodie self raising flour with maybe a little beer and do the fish and chips thing. A lot depends I think for taste on the body of water they are taken from, the lake I 'am on is pretty pristine and the bass a very seldom wormy even in the middle of summer, I do find the small mouth a more wormy fish. I have neighbors who are European and they like to keep the bass whole and cook it that way.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    Always fillet them and if they are not fried in oil I use Brodie self raising flour with maybe a little beer and do the fish and chips thing. A lot depends I think for taste on the body of water they are taken from, the lake I 'am on is pretty pristine and the bass a very seldom wormy even in the middle of summer, I do find the small mouth a more wormy fish. I have neighbors who are European and they like to keep the bass whole and cook it that way.
    I prefer to fillet as well. I'm lucky that none of the bass in the pond I fish have worms either. I think the taste depends on what the fish are eating. I'm looking for a good recipe for fried fish, so I'll give yours a try. Thanks and happy new year.