Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: jerky

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I've been using a dehydrator to make jerky for at least 30 years now. Right now I have an Open Country one with 8 trays and the fan/heater on the top. It has 7 temp settings from 95° to160° so it's very versatile. Mostly I use steaks of roasts in my own marinade overnite and then dry the next day. I have tried the spice mix and burger and a jerky gun that came with the unit but I prefer whole meat cut against the grain. I would never use a curing powder for jerky as it's dried so it doesn't need any nitrates. Those I do use for back bacon, pastrami or pork roasts that go in the smoker.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Keep my jerky pretty simple, slice up an eye of the round beef roast into 1/4" thick with the grain slices, and brine them overnite in soya sauce then put them in Cabela's 5 tier dehydrater set on high for 8 to 10 hrs or your preferred texture and let cool and refrigerate and use as required!
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlmorgan View Post
    Keep my jerky pretty simple, slice up an eye of the round beef roast into 1/4" thick with the grain slices, and brine them overnite in soya sauce then put them in Cabela's 5 tier dehydrater set on high for 8 to 10 hrs or your preferred texture and let cool and refrigerate and use as required!
    I've done the same recipe but with teriyaki and it comes out great. You can make really good jerky without having to make your own marinades.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I use one of the round 7 tray dehydrators and it works well. I marinate the sliced venison in Backwoods Cajun spice and a light sprinkle some of my dried hot peppers overnight and then dehydrate. I plug them it in the garage and it smells amazing (well at least I like the smell........my wife not so much). During the winter it takes a couple of hours longer due to it being a little cooler but they are done in 8-10hrs - overnight works well.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

We have one similar to your first link. It works well just limited to how much you can put in. but if you have a box fan this works well and you just add more filters for larger amounts.
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...an-beef-jerky/

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Mine is similar to that and it works fine.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

My ex had the Cabelas 10 tray dehydrator and I used it a few times for jerky and loved it! Thinking about picking up my own

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Lee valley tools sells one similar to the round one from CanTire.
    I have a friend that has one and he's happy with it. Lee valley tends not to sell crap.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I have the cheap Canadian Tire one. It works just fine! My favorite way to eat Canada Goose (SkyCarp). My kids usually eat it all before I get any so we have to hide the stuff in the freezer once it's made.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast