Thread: Sausage Maker

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Sausage Maker

My usual butcher shop is phasing out of the sausage making business. Does anyone know of anybody in the Carleton Place area who makes sausages out of goose breasts? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Not hard to do your self. Purchase a meat grinder, I used one from Princes Auto and bought one of their kits I also added a few extra spices.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I agree with greatwhite. It’s actually super simple. Get yourself a grinder and a stuffer. A bit far for you, but check out nella. They have commercial products that are pretty hardcore.

Sausage making itself is fairly straight forward. You can tailor it to your tastes. Grind goose, add spices, maybe add ground pork fat. Mix well and allow 24 hours for flavours to combine. Fry up a small patty for a taste test. If it’s the way you like it, stuff your casings. Voila.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Check with Don's meat market in Almonte, I've had him do up sausage in the past. Goose meat is pretty lean, I imagine you would need at least 25% fat added.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by heronk View Post
    My usual butcher shop is phasing out of the sausage making business. Does anyone know of anybody in the Carleton Place area who makes sausages out of goose breasts? Any advice would be appreciated.
    For sure what Greatwhite and Birdbuff said. The only thing is to watch out for how long you make your sausages before you pinch them off. Sometimes they can be a little too long and if the wife see's it, well you figure it out.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I hardest part I found was finding someone who sold casings....

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If you buy the kit from Princes Auto you get casings works out cheaper than buying casings separately

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I hardest part I found was finding someone who sold casings....

Leads by example

User Info Menu

The synthetic casings can be bought at TSC, cabelas, etc. If you want real casings (hog, sheep or beef) try Canada compound in Vaughan. The metro here in Newmarket carries them as well. It might be worth asking your local butcher for some also.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Hog casing are relatively easy to source, I found mine at the local grocery store. I will be switching to the synthetic stuff though as they are a lot easier to work with.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbuff View Post
    The synthetic casings can be bought at TSC, cabelas, etc. If you want real casings (hog, sheep or beef) try Canada compound in Vaughan. The metro here in Newmarket carries them as well. It might be worth asking your local butcher for some also.
    I was doing it 17 yrs back and there were no TSCs,Cabelas etc etc...in this area. I did find a source with the butcher at the Grocery store who put in a side-order for me when he ordered his.