Thread: Swing don't poke

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Default Swing don't poke

So seen two upland shows. One was an american planted hunt featuring exploding birds, high fives and alot of back slapping. The other, seen below.
    I think I relate more to the second than the first.
    How bout you?
    https://youtu.be/EgMb8YtwNUI
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I ignore the American "rah-rah,I'm a hero" planned/canned hunting shows. They're more like glorified infomercials than anything else. Each to their own,I guess,but,they're not for me.
    If you're too big to do the little things that count,you're too little to do the big things that really count.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I enjoy the field sports channel, I haven't watched it lately but it's usually got some good content.

I only wish I'd see that many birds in an outing let alone hit them!

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I would take a walked up hunt anytime over a planted hunt even if it means less game in the bag. For me it’s about the experience more then the heavy game bag.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    I would take a walked up hunt anytime over a planted hunt even if it means less game in the bag. For me it’s about the experience more then the heavy game bag.
    For me the "experience" revolves around the dog and their performance even if in this case it was a flusher.( should be no suprise I'm a pointy dog guy)
    Dog work and birds go hand in hand so to round out a day a planted bird or two can be good insurance.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Poking is totally acceptable in Ontario covers

Reading the habitat and the dog, anticipating where the wild birds might be and getting caught off guard when the bird flushes from the darnedest place, are the ultimate.

When it comes to released birds and my seasoned dog, I enjoy wildlife management areas and not knowing when and where the birds were released

But when a new pup comes along, planted birds on private preserves are awesome!
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Very nice thank you for posting.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ninepointer View Post
    Poking is totally acceptable in Ontario covers

Reading the habitat and the dog, anticipating where the wild birds might be and getting caught off guard when the bird flushes from the darnedest place, are the ultimate.

When it comes to released birds and my seasoned dog, I enjoy wildlife management areas and not knowing when and where the birds were released

But when a new pup comes along, planted birds on private preserves are awesome!
    Agree with you NP - the low density of wild birds makes training a gundog up almost impossible and when you only see one or two birds all morning, are you going to hold off pulling the trigger because the bird was not rock solid steady? To train a gundog you need to NOT shoot every bird that flushes.