Thread: Puppy wont pick up bird...

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Puppy wont pick up bird...

I have an incredible 12 yr old lab that has been a beast. Her allstar clip includes a 5 goose water retrieve during a snowstorm in early December (many years ago).
    I have a 7 month chessy, she retrieves a ball awesome and drops at feet. But when I change to a frozen duck wing, she runs up, and licks it but wont puck it up. I have tried taking feathers and attaching them to the ball and she runs up and licks the ball. I have had the old girl play too, the young one gets there first, the old girl catches up and takes it back.
    any tips?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

First congratulations on upgrading from a Lab to a Chessie . Second don't panic, what you are facing is very common. There is a solution but it might take too long to write up myself. I trained my young male CBR largely using the techniques in the book "The Ten Minute Retriever" by Dahl. It is a very easy to read practical book and he devotes a fair bit of it dealing with the unique challenges (and rewards) of dealing with Chessies.

I am VERY happy with how my dog who is four now turned out. He is very dependably obedient, steady and delivers anything you send him for reliably and gently to hand.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thank you for the tip. I will look it up.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

some pups won't pick up frozen, but will get freshly killed game
    Try adding dry feathers to a familiar dummy if she won't get it, put it in nylon stocking, if no go, put stocking on a familiar dummy, progress to few layers of stocking on a dummy with feathers, then on a frozen birds, remove layers until she picks up a naked bird.
    Then of course, people will tell you to force fetch. cheers.
    "The dog is Small Munsterlander, the gun is Beretta."
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed" A. Saint-Exupery.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Take the older dog out of the picture, it is probably intimidating the pup when stealing the retrieve

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I probably wouldn't hold an ice cube in my teeth for long
    "You don't own a cocker, you wear one"

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I appreciate the tips. I just picked up 10 minute retriever. Look forward to working with Roxie

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Put the pup on Live Birds. Develop that drive. Only train one dog at a time(keep the old dog away while training)