Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great Debate

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default The Great Debate

This might ruffle a few feathers but thought I would give it a go!

The great debate for all compound bowhunters.. which bows are best, Hoyt or Mathews? Or PSE? Bowtech? Interested in hearing your thoughts and experiences with using any of these (or others) and why you think it's best, including factors like price, look/feel, tuning ability, etc. It's just good to learn a bit more about the different bows out there and their pros/cons, especially for those who have only shot one manufacturer and/or are in the market for a new bow for next season.

Personally, I shoot a Hoyt Carbon Defiant but it's my first and only bow and have never shot other manufacturers so I'm a little biased toward Hoyt. While I've had some sort of animosity towards Mathews I feel like they are starting to grow on me and are getting the upper hand on Hoyt over the last couple of years...

So, which bow is it? GO!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JP Outdoors View Post
    I shoot a Hoyt Carbon Defiant but it's my first and only bow and have never shot other manufacturers so I'm a little biased toward Hoyt.

That is the answer; " I shoot a 'X' but it's my first and only bow and have never shot other manufacturers so I'm a little biased toward 'X'.

Same as trucks, cars, boats, guns, etc etc.. Haha..

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    That is the answer; " I shoot a 'X' but it's my first and only bow and have never shot other manufacturers so I'm a little biased toward 'X'.

Same as trucks, cars, boats, guns, etc etc.. Haha..
    Haha for sure! Hoping to hear from folks with a little more diverse experience than me!

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

All manufacturers have been making good bows, and for quite a while.
    So the bow choice these days has become a matter of personal preference (and bias).
    What really matters is proper bow fit to the shooter, proper arrow selection, good accessories, proper bow tuning, and then lots & lots of practice.
    “Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That's the great thing about the Bow shop here in Richmond..they guy has been doing bows for over 30 yrs. He has a range (old movie theatre) attached to the kit shop. You can take the bow you're interested in to the range, take a few shots and have him fit it for you.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G.S. View Post
    So the bow choice these days has become a matter of personal preference (and bias).
    What really matters is proper bow fit to the shooter, proper arrow selection, good accessories, proper bow tuning, and then lots & lots of practice.
    Really great points. I think most of us, including myself, probably get more hung up on the brand than the actually important things. Always a good reminder to get back to the basics.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

The above is the best answer to your question. For interests sake, ancient civilizations that had the best archers (before gunpowder) usually had the upper hand on enemies. The English Longbow, the mounted archers of Attilla the Hun that made bows of bone and sinew, and the Apache Horse Warriors were all masters of archery. There is some cool stuff on YouTube where they have mounted archery target shooting with traditional "horse bows" over in Eastern Europe. Amazing. Steer the horse with your legs at 30kph and smoke bullseyes with a bow made of bone and animal hide. Pretty freakin' cool.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
    The above is the best answer to your question. For interests sake, ancient civilizations that had the best archers (before gunpowder) usually had the upper hand on enemies. The English Longbow, the mounted archers of Attilla the Hun that made bows of bone and sinew, and the Apache Horse Warriors were all masters of archery. There is some cool stuff on YouTube where they have mounted archery target shooting with traditional "horse bows" over in Eastern Europe. Amazing. Steer the horse with your legs at 30kph and smoke bullseyes with a bow made of bone and animal hide. Pretty freakin' cool.
    Unbelievable. Thanks for sharing, I'll have to check that out!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I will bite!

Not going to say its better than the others but I really like my old Mattews Drenalin. The bow does what I want, shoots accurately and I can change strings and cables without a bow press. That said, it certainly is not the most forgiving bow out there.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

What he said, right there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast