Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Great Debate

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I prefer to shoot my Excal. Exomax, rather than my compound Bear. It is easier and more accurate for me.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishermccann View Post
    I prefer to shoot my Excal. Exomax, rather than my compound Bear. It is easier and more accurate for me.
    Awesome! Totally agree. Crossbows can have an accuracy advantage over compounds.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JP Outdoors View Post
    Awesome! Totally agree. Crossbows can have an accuracy advantage over compounds.
    Sorry....., have to disagree: compounds can be way more accurate in the hands of the seasoned shooter. Mainly because the arrow vs bolt inherited flight performance.
    “Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I bought a "cheap" Bear bow as my first dip into archery and have been reading and practicing like crazy ever since, one thing I've noticed is that the bow doesn't really make much difference but the entire setup does. Once I learned to keep consistency in form and anchor point I started to notice arrow flight and learned a ton about tuning of both arrows and bow. Within a year I've managed pretty consistent accuracy out to 50yds in practice. I guess it's like anything else, if you like the feel of it and can make it do what you want then who cares who made it?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G.S. View Post
    Sorry....., have to disagree: compounds can be way more accurate in the hands of the seasoned shooter. Mainly because the arrow vs bolt inherited flight performance.
    Yes, sorry I meant in general for the average person picking up a compound vs. crossbow. They'll likely be more accurate with the crossbow off the bat but agree for those who are seasoned and put in the work to practice they can be more accurate than a crossbow.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I am a 'seasoned' shooter. Being a senior my arms are not as strong as they used to be, so the Exomax has become more accurate than my Bear over the years. Why ,because I can practice more with the Excal. Since my eyesight is also not as good, I can see better with the scope than the 'pins'.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishermccann View Post
    I am a 'seasoned' shooter. Being a senior my arms are not as strong as they used to be, so the Exomax has become more accurate than my Bear over the years. Why ,because I can practice more with the Excal. Since my eyesight is also not as good, I can see better with the scope than the 'pins'.
    Makes total sense. Agree very much with this! I guess, similar to those who have spoken to the importance of personal preference, it really is most important to just shoot something you can and that you feel you can shoot best. If that's a $2000 80 lb. compound then great, if it's something else then that's fine too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12