Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Not your average new Excalibur cross bow

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Bow hunting now banned in Tasmania after animal activists complaints of cruelty
    Bow hunting now banned in Tasmania after animal activists complaints of cruelty, and Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment minister calling bow hunters “disgusting and cruel”.

Minister for DPIPWE, Peter Gutwein has today swallowed the bait offered up by animal activists and officially banned ALL bowhunting activity in Tasmania.

This follows a fiery few days where Gutwein has taken aim at bowhunters both in his home state, and the rest of the world, calling them “disgusting and cruel”.

In fact, he went on to say he did not think it was “acceptable to be shooting anything with a bow and arrow“.

Is Gutwein suggesting that indigenous people around the world who still enjoy their heritage and culture of hunting food and controlling wildlife with a bow, or other traditional methods, are disgusting and cruel?

How about our own European ancestors, who have been hunting with bows for thousands of years? Also disgusting and cruel?

So how did this mess start?

Last week, two wounded wallabies were found with arrows in them.

Let’s just state a few facts here:

It is already illegal to bow hunt native animals anywhere in Australia.

These animals were shot using target arrows, which suggests that it was more likely young kids than experienced bowhunters.

Bowhunting was already heavily restricted in Tasmania, with only rabbits, hares, wild goats and feral cats allowed to be taken with a bow.

Yet despite all these facts, the usual plethora of enraged activists sprung into action to try to use the illegal act to somehow condemn all bowhunters (and by extension, all hunters).

Unfortunately, the ruse worked.

First, they drew an incredibly long bow, linking the illegal and unethical act to Hunting Tasmania, a private business in Tasmania that offers meat and trophy hunts of fallow deer on a private, high-fenced property in the North of Tasmania – a property that was actually operating within the guidelines and regulations of Tasmanian law, as set out by Gutwein’s own department.

But not anymore.

Gutless Gutwein has delivered on his promise to shut the business down, and rushed through changes faster than Jacinda Adern going after hunters!

This afternoon, we received word that Deidre Wilson, General Manager, Corporate Services Division, DPIPWE has “reinterpreted” the laws to remove any loopholes that previously allowed farmed deer or feral animals to be taken with a bow.

Now you cannot even take a feral animal with a bow.

But don’t cheer for the animals.

They can still be killed by a variety of methods. You can gut shoot them with a rifle, stick them with a knife, you can poison them with 1080 (a favourite method of DPIPWE) or if you feel like it, you can smash their skull with a bolt gun, which is what other meat processors do to kill livestock. But don’t you dare do what our ancestors have done since time began and use a bow…

Maybe before he caved to a vocal minority, Gutwein should have considered what else those same activists want to ban.

What’s clear is that the two major parties here in Tasmania hate hunting in all its forms – not even traditional hunting methods are supported!

To paraphrase Martin Niemöller:

First they came for the hunters, and I did not speak out because I was not a hunter.

Then they came for the fishermen but I did not speak out, because I did not fish.

They came for the farmers and I did not speak out because I was not a farmer.

Then they came for me—taking my right to choose the food I feed my family, but there was no one left to speak for me.

As a society, we need to stop viewing the attacks on our personal freedoms as ‘not my problem’. Unless we stand together against the vocal minority, we will lose all rights to hunt, fish, 4WD, camp, farm and yes, even eat meat.

Has anybody seen this,yet? I found this on another forum,so,I hope it's OK to repost. Food for thought.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bdog View Post
    Its not only the crossbow shooters, there's unethical hunters in all displines of hunting....
    And I have met a few too many.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kavanagh View Post
    Seen it. All it means is that because of a follow up shot, people are going to be taking even more stupid, careless and unethical shots at game than they have before.
    Honestly, working at a bow shop, I am really getting sick of hearing about the stupid 50, 60, 70 + yard misses and cripples which couldn't be found by over zealous idiots trying to get an instagram photo. I use to like crossbows, heck we even have two of our own. I've written about them and promoted them. My son shot his first deer, a nice 6 point buck at six yards with one when he was twelve. Now I'm really starting to hate them.
    It seems that taking an unethical, poor shot is getting more and more common place now and the manufacturers are jumping on the bad wagon with their stupid advertising and promotions such as, "meet your new rifle."
    To top it off people seem to be bragging about their misses now. Pathetic.
    Everyone is just looking for an easier way to fill a tag. Learn how to hunt from crying out loud!!!
    Although I agree with you on this crossbow, in what practical scenario are you going to get with a follow up shot? I can see some complete fool trying to shoot a running animal with this.
    But you could use the EXACT same arguement with recurves. Example: "People should stop using recurves because what if someone doesn't practice enough and takes a 30 yard shot?"Obviously you'd say that arguement is ridiculous, because it is.

If someone misuses a weapon then it is 100% their fault and no one elses. If you don't know your limitations don't hunt. To say someone should stop doing something because other people might try and fail is absolutely nonsensical.
    Also I've never seen a single post on here or any forum about someone bragging about 70 yard misses, I don't see what there is to brag about.
    Also proportionally way more animals are wounded with recurves than with crossbows, why do people like to pretend that crossbows somehow wound more animals than any other piece of archery equipment?
    It makes zero sense. It doesn't matter what piece of archery equipment you have, a fool will always find a way to mess something up.

As my favourite saying goes "The first mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”
    Last edited by MihajloSimsic; January 5th, 2021 at 06:20 PM.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Apprentice

User Info Menu

As a crossbow this seems ridiculously impractical. All it does is save you the inconvenience of cocking it before a second shot. In what scenario are you going to get a follow up shot? Are you going to shoot the animal while it's running??? Not even mentioning how cumbersome and heavy this will be because of this useless add on. Excalibur need to stick with their micro line up, not making fast crossbows with exploding limbs and "over & under" crossbows.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bdog View Post
    Its not only the crossbow shooters, there's unethical hunters in all displines of hunting....
    Agreed, but with the promoting from the various competing manufacturers and the makeup of the crossbows themselves, it's getting worse all the time.
    Rifle hunters generally get into bow hunting why, because they get an extended season. I get that and also promote that myself. The thing is, these people always want instant success. Since when was bowhunting ever suppose to be easy.
    People want to bow hunt without wanting to learn to bow hunt. Most end up hunting out of the very same stands they use in rifle season, over the very same corn piles, and then of course taking stupid shots. This is not an assumtion but fact from people telling me first hand. Not just the odd person, but from my perspective, the majority of people who offer this information to me.
    If you wanna bow hunt, you have to leave the rifle mentality behind. One of the most important things to learn is how to let an animal walk away. There's always another day.
    That why the bow hunting season is three months long and not a week long the way it is for rifle season. Rifle hunting is easy. Bow hunting takes work, learning and skill. No one wants to take the time to learn it!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I have 4 bows, that's enough.... well maybe 1 or 2 more.

An Excalibur Vixen 2 I got on a very good sale, a regular 30 lb recurve, my dad's 50lb compound and a 35 lb Hankyu bow ... but I do want to see a picture of that bow... think they will come out with an Assault crossbow with a 5 round mag? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVsOFOQkUQ4 maybe with a laser sight?

Anyway, seems like there are archery Fudds too... when you look back there were huge battles lost because someone decided only a long bow or something else was "proper" ... on humanitarian grounds the crossbow is likely to be much more reliable to bring down a deer since people don't have archery ranges and the time etc. so on that grounds why not ban long and recurve bows?.... well because some want to use it and take the time.... it is their choice! they have to take the responsibility and time to get good at it.

There are others that due to disabilities and age and injuries can't pull a bow anymore, seems some have no empathy for them and for those that want to hunt but don't have the time and place to practice.... it is their choice to use a crossbow ..... sheesh... Fudds!

I got a bunch of stuff this year at a garage sale, turns out the guy was a bow hunter who had severely injured his shoulder in an accident, he won't have the ability to hunt with any BOW EVER AGAIN!, I hope he takes my advice and looks into an Excalibur or other crossbow! You can get them with cranks that would allow him to get out again, I saw on one of the Facebook hunting pages that the one guy with a crossbow on his back going out was 75... good to see that guy out hunting!
    Last edited by mosquito; January 5th, 2021 at 07:11 PM. Reason: critic of Fudds added

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MihajloSimsic View Post
    Although I agree with you on this crossbow, in what practical scenario are you going to get with a follow up shot? I can see some complete fool trying to shoot a running animal with this.
    But you could use the EXACT same arguement with recurves. Example: "People should stop using recurves because what if someone doesn't practice enough and takes a 30 yard shot?"Obviously you'd say that arguement is ridiculous, because it is.

If someone misuses a weapon then it is 100% their fault and no one elses. If you don't know your limitations don't hunt. To say someone should stop doing something because other people might try and fail is absolutely nonsensical.
    Also I've never seen a single post on here or any forum about someone bragging about 70 yard misses, I don't see what there is to brag about.
    Also proportionally way more animals are wounded with recurves than with crossbows, why do people like to pretend that crossbows somehow wound more animals than any other piece of archery equipment?
    It makes zero sense. It doesn't matter what piece of archery equipment you have, a fool will always find a way to mess something up.

As my favourite saying goes "The first mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”
    There's a huge difference between a recurve hunter and a crossbow hunter.
    All you have to do to be a crossbow hunter is to buy a crossbow. That's part of the problem.
    Being a recurve hunters takes shooting tens of thousands of arrows shot, and years of practice and dedication. I had the limb finally break on me on one of my bows and I figured I had approx 230,000 shots out of it.
    That kind of dedication creates a very different mind set for shooting than does shooting a half dozen bolts for sighting in and going straight out for a hunt.
    There's also a large disadvantage to hunting with a vertical bow over a crossbow. The movement required to shoot, the posture required to shoot and the window of opportunity to shoot is much, much smaller. Quite honestly all of the above makes one much more aware of correct shot opportunities.
    Again, with a crossbow you aim and shoot so it makes one less aware of bad opportunities.
    Again, learn how to bow hunt.
    Last edited by Jeff Kavanagh; January 5th, 2021 at 07:27 PM.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

All you have to do to be a crossbow hunter is to buy a crossbow. That's part of the problem.
    Being a recurve hunters takes shooting tens of thousands of arrows shot, and years of practice and dedication. I had the limb finally break on me on one of my bows and I figured I had approx 230,000 shots out of it.
    That kind of dedication creates a very different mind set for shooting than does shooting a half dozen bolts for sighting in and going straight out for a hunt.
    There's also a large disadvantage to hunting with a vertical bow over a crossbow. The movement required to shot, the posture required to shot and the window of opportunity to shoot is much, much smaller.
    Again, with a crossbow you aim and shoot so it makes one less aware of bad opportunities.
    Of course hunting with a recurve is more challenging. It probably takes more discipline than any other form of hunting. I was just stating that if someone watched you take a deer at 30 yards and decided to try it out themselves with little practice they'd wound the deer. It would be ludicrous to suggest that was partly your fault for him using you as an example.
    All I'm suggesting is everyone's responsible for themselves and themselves only.

I just don't believe recurves or compounds should be the only pathway into archery hunting. If you find archery to be enjoyable then you wouldn't mind sacrificing some time in the woods to hit some targets. Personally, I'd rather use any free time I have in the woods hunting.

Regardless, you could put the best olympic barebow archer in the woods. If he has no woodsmanship then he could have a belt fed machine gun and have zero chance. Hunting has very little to do with shooting.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Seen it. All it means is that because of a follow up shot, people are going to be taking even more stupid, careless and unethical shots at game than they have before.
    Honestly, working at a bow shop, I am really getting sick of hearing about the stupid 50, 60, 70 + yard misses and cripples which couldn't be found by over zealous idiots trying to get an instagram photo. I use to like crossbows, heck we even have two of our own. I've written about them and promoted them. My son shot his first deer, a nice 6 point buck at six yards with one when he was twelve. Now I'm really starting to hate them.
    It seems that taking an unethical, poor shot is getting more and more common place now and the manufacturers are jumping on the bad wagon with their stupid advertising and promotions such as, "meet your new rifle."
    To top it off people seem to be bragging about their misses now. Pathetic.
    Everyone is just looking for an easier way to fill a tag. Learn how to hunt from crying out loud!!!
    post of the week!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

There's also a large disadvantage to hunting with a vertical bow over a crossbow. The movement required to shoot, the posture required to shoot and the window of opportunity to shoot is much, much smaller. Quite honestly all of the above makes one much more aware of correct shot opportunities.
    Well, excuse all of us for not meeting your high standards, dedication and commitment.
    It does not matter what you have in hand as a tool to take game. It is how one goes about doing it ethically with patience and knowledge.
    I am just as proficient taking deer with my tool of choice and does not matter if it is a rifle, shotgun, crossbow, ML or my cellphone camera. I have taken deer with all of them. I have no problem stalking deer to within 30 yards or waiting for them to show up if I'm on stand. All within range of the tools listed above and all equally effective. Decades of experience has taught me well and laws dictate which tool I have in hand.

Good for you to enjoy a recurve bow but as a purist, you are only inserting division in the hunting community in which we should be united.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast