Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Fish Through the Ice

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default First Fish Through the Ice

After a few outings getting skunked, I got my first brown through the ice today. The key was fishing higher in the water column. I was fishing the bottom the last few times and this time I was down a little shallower and closer to shore. First trout came on the first drop with a jig and plastic. It was the biggest of the day, but I lost it at the hole. I lost another at the hole caught on homemade trout dough. Finally, I landed one also with the dough. It was 15", not huge, but a good first fish. My rig was 4lbs mono with a split shot, small octopus hook, and the dough.

The fish was really dark but it has to be a brown, since it's a stocked lake.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Nice going hope you get a few more.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nice fish. A good flasher is a must when fish are using the whole water column. It will take the guesswork out of getting the bait where the fish are....
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thanks, I'll be out again and hope to get another one.

I think a flasher would be very helpful as you mentioned. Once I get a bit more experience and time on the ice, I think I can justify buying one.

Swims with the Fishes

User Info Menu

Awesome congratulations!
    That rug really tied the room together

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG1 View Post
    Thanks, I'll be out again and hope to get another one.

I think a flasher would be very helpful as you mentioned. Once I get a bit more experience and time on the ice, I think I can justify buying one.
    We used them lake trout fishing. Once you get on to them, you can drop your bait right on their nose !! Lol
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Is the water really murky where you're fishing? I ask that because the fish is so dark and muddy looking. If so, I'd fish higher in the water column because oxygen levels near the bottom would be low.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    Is the water really murky where you're fishing? I ask that because the fish is so dark and muddy looking. If so, I'd fish higher in the water column because oxygen levels near the bottom would be low.
    I'm not sure what is considered murky water, but I'd say visibility is around 10ft in the spring when it's at its clearest. I was surprised at how dark this fish was. I've caught some dark ones there in the fall, but never this dark. I've also caught lighter ones that have much better, more orange/red, meat. Maybe it's what they are eating?

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Nice fish congrats and trust me a flasher is worth it. I won't leave home without it, but doesn't mean you catch fish because you have one LOL but you waste time fishing dead water
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Right on, congrats on your first fish through the ice. Nice one
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast