Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Recommend these Cheap Spoons

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up , always looking to save a dollar or 2.
    Do not care what other people think as long as I have a chance to enjoy fishing.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG1 View Post
    What you have said makes sense, and it will make me think about where I buy from tackle from. There is definitely a disconnect between what we buy and what the implications of that are. Many of us are guilty of that, obviously myself included.

Maybe a better approach to the post would have been to ask where people have found more ethical spoons at a good price, as things like this do add up.

Obviously, I did not intend for the post to go this way, but I appreciate you taking about the implications of what we buy. I know your replies to my other posts have helped me in the past, and I hope this is not taken the wrong way.

Adam

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Sorry, I came on a bit stronger than I was intended, I had just been listening to interviews with Yeon-mi Park
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za34...ature=emb_logo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25NnmCyjpm4
    and then reading how the originator of Alibaba and the ANT group had criticized the Communist government and had now been missing for over 4 month and to see someone post something sold there set my temper at Sun's surface temperature. People tend to not think about their choices and go on obliviously and after hearing some stories from family/friends that went through the Cultural Revolution/Mao and a friend that was in Tianamin Squares reaction to the one time I asked him about it (It was like I flipped at PTSD switch, I won't ever ask anything about it again!) I have no problem spending double or more to get something made outside China (and a few other human rights disaster countries), Canada and US being the first choices. China gets funds for it's goal or destroying our culture and country and Canada is deprived of funds with each purchase and some don't think and even sadder some I see that are so morally decrepit they don't care, so sorry I did everything short of banging your head on the desk.

As for shopping options.
    https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...ing-the-effort
    Last edited by mosquito; January 13th, 2021 at 06:47 PM.
    "It's disturbing that when it comes to the Christian faith, people don't really want, or know how, to investigate the evidence" - Daniel B. Wallace So why not learn?
    Sadly few remember kids: Compassion, Samaritans Purse, World Vision

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

....... edit
    Last edited by AdamG1; January 13th, 2021 at 07:49 PM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    No need to apologize. China gouges the workers while Canadian manufacturers gouge the buyer.
    I buy lure blanks and have yet to find anything made in Canada that meets the requirements I have.
    I have always been interested in lure making and might get into it as I gain some fishing experience. Thanks for the tip.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
    Sorry, I came on a bit stronger than I was intended, I had just been listening to interviews with Yeon-mi Park
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za34...ature=emb_logo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25NnmCyjpm4
    and then reading how the originator of Alibaba and the ANT group had criticized the Communist government and had now been missing for over 4 month and to see someone post something sold there set my temper at Sun's surface temperature. People tend to not think about their choices and go on obliviously and after hearing some stories from family/friends that went through the Cultural Revolution/Mao and a friend that was in Tianamin Squares reaction to the one time I asked him about it (It was like I flipped at PTSD switch, I won't ever ask anything about it again!) I have no problem spending double or more to get something made outside China (and a few other human rights disaster countries), Canada and US being the first choices. China gets funds for it's goal or destroying our culture and country and Canada is deprived of funds with each purchase and some don't think and even sadder some I see that are so morally decrepit they don't care, so sorry I did everything short of banging your head on the desk.

As for shopping options.
    https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...ing-the-effort
    I could tell the post set you off a bit and it wasn't my intention.

I will definitely take a look at the link you posted. I think the original post come off as a bit too supportive of buying everything in China. It was more meant to say that this is one of the few items I have found over there that are worth it. I tried to make it clear in the original post that I don't generally like buying tackle from China.

Anyways, I do appreciate the comments about buying made in Canada, as it is very important.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

ahhh your heart was in the right place, Adam! People are little tightly wound these days. I agree with shopping Canadian BTw.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Shaming someone for buying products from China isnt really in the spirit of this board is it?

Come on now. We all have something that either directly or indirectly funneled a couple cents to China. Do we know where the materials came from of the Canadian made lures? The metal? The hooks? The paint?

Im all for buying Canadian. I do it when I can. In this case its an afforadable alternative. But thats not always the case.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Never mind that politics are not supposed to be allowed, in any threads but the off topic and the political one.
    Last edited by fishermccann; January 16th, 2021 at 09:08 AM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

As you have all mentioned, my post wasn't to imply that buying from China is the right choice most of the time. Lots of things come from China one way or another, and I think making an effort to buy local when possible is a great thing that many of us do. For example, for common items that can be found anywhere, I prefer to buy them at local tackle shops rather than online at a big store.

All a bit if a misunderstanding, but that's fine. Tight lines everyone.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Well, I don’t want to sound like a Trudeau-virtue-signaller....BUT wanted to say that I followed the links that Mosquito provided as part of his tantrum, ended up ordering some lures and was pleased to find that they had thrown 2 extras in the box as promos. - you don’t get that buying from the big stores
    “You have enemies ? Good. It means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life”: Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast