Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jack rabbits

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers View Post
    Saw a jack this spring while hunting for turkeys up in the shelburne area, toying with the idea of going after it but don't think I have the legs for it anymore.
    To sneak up on a jack you need real soft fluffy snow to muffle your noise otherwise they'll bust you and be long gone. On hard crunchy snow a push and stand combo is your best bet. Problem is how you decide who's going to bust their hump pushing the fence rows and who's going to freeze their but off waiting.
    really? my dad and uncle have hunted that area all their lives and recently havent seen anything, good to know theyre still out there

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Yeah... they are adapting to new habitat because the habitat you expect to find them on is gone. Lots of farmers got rid of bushes, hedge rows and cover to make fields bigger. If the jacks are going to survive they have to adapt. We shot one last week out of a swamp.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

A few guys from our club were out Saturday and got one Jack rabbit.. more coyotes still ... i was out Wednesday with a friend and saw lots of
    tracks in the fields and fence rows ...

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I saw one this summer on my road, not far from home. About a week after that I saw one at the south end of Lindsay, near the cemetery. I couldn't help feeling good about the sightings. Even seeing groundhogs in this area is a good feeling these days.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Finally got some snow here in the deep south. Managed to sneak out for an hour of Jack hunting.

Jack straps for dinner!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I saw the most jack tracks today than I’ve seen in a long time. Good sign for sure...
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Looks like a beauty, quite the shot too... Is that a .22
    Congrats
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    Looks like a beauty, quite the shot too... Is that a .22
    Congrats
    It's a .223...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    It's a .223...
    How far was the shot, looks like you got it right in the head.... Did it take off and then stop for the shot or did you see it sitting up ahead of you. Just curious how it all played out.
    Thanks
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Nice! Congrats.
    “Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast