Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shortest action rifle is and Combination gun and a single shot guns

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

1924 Shortest action rifle is and Combination gun and a single shot guns

Shortest action rifle is and Combination gun and a single shot guns..
    Why is not more in use and more popular ?
    It is practical .
    Last edited by alfoldivandor; January 14th, 2021 at 05:48 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I use a Blaser BBF for coyotes and a Sauer drilling for a bunch of other stuff...maybe people in NA don't gravitate to them because they are odd and can be expensive. (although reasonably priced ones are not rare)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Saw this this morning...looks like something you might consider...

CHIAPPA DOUBLE BADGER RIFLE (.410 & .22 Magnum Over Under)

Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alfoldivandor View Post
    Shortest action rifle is and Combination gun and a single shot guns..
    Why is not more in use and more popular ?
    It is practical .
    Single shots do not allow for that second, third or 8th shot while party hunting, which most do in Ontario for big game.

Combination guns, while cool, and I would own one, does not do much for most out there, they are going hunting for rabbits they are either busting them or stalking them, decide on a rifle or a shotgun, not both and not only 1 shot of each.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Single shots do not allow for that second, third or 8th shot while party hunting, which most do in Ontario for big game.
    In my biased opinion, the challenges of hunting with a single shot rifle is what makes it appealing. Follow up shots are not impossible, they just take a bit more time. With practice and easy access to spare ammo (e.g, using an ammo pouch), it can be done pretty quickly,

Ten years ago, I sold off my Remington pump rifle and bought a new-to-me Browning B78. When I brought it to deer camp that first fall , I got some quizzical looks which prompted a conversation on what possessed me to switch. I explained that part of my reasoning was that I was interested in new challenges. I also pointed out that out of the 80 or so deer that we had taken over the years, by far the majority required only one shot. At my age, if I can’t bring a deer down with one shot, it’s not worth throwing more lead at it. When hearing gun shots in the distance, guys in our camp jokingly conclude “1 shot - deer down, 2 shots - maybe, 3+ -buck fever!”
    Last edited by Sam Menard; January 14th, 2021 at 03:08 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    , they are going hunting for rabbits they are either busting them or stalking them, decide on a rifle or a shotgun, not both and not only 1 shot of each.
    The guys makes a good point in the Video...if he's flushing partridge for th .410 but busts a bunny, he can slide his finger back and use the .22 . Very practical purpose.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    The guys makes a good point in the Video...if he's flushing partridge for th .410 but busts a bunny, he can slide his finger back and use the .22 . Very practical purpose.
    I see that, and the double trigger is better than the old Savage 24 idea where you have a piece come down from the hammer but I am stating that for most people.

Trust me, I want a German drilling, 7x57 x 16ga would be idea, double shotgun and single rifle or double rifle and single shotgun but I am not picky. The problem here is that a 3 shot shotgun or a multi shot rifle start at around $300 new, a drilling is going to cost you thousands of dollars. The Chiappa is not in the realm of quality as the european guns.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    In my biased opinion, the challenges of hunting with a single shot rifle is what makes it appealing. Follow up shots are not impossible, they just take a bit more time. With practice and easy access to spare ammo (e.g, using an ammo pouch), it can be done pretty quickly,

Ten years ago, I sold off my Remington pump rifle and bought a new-to-me Browning B78. When I brought it to deer camp that first fall , I got some quizzical looks which prompted a conversation on what possessed me to switch. I explained that part of my reasoning was that I was interested in new challenges. I also pointed out that out of the 80 or so deer that we had taken over the years, by far the majority required only one shot. At my age, if I can’t bring a deer down with one shot, it’s not worth throwing more lead at it. When hearing gun shots in the distance, guys in our camp jokingly conclude “1 shot - deer down, 2 shots - maybe, 3+ -buck fever!”
    Oh I am with you, 1 shot - dead deer, 2 shots - kill shot?, 3 shots - he missed, 4 shots - get down.

I reloaded a 50 cal muzzle loader to get a second shot, on the 2nd deer, but it is not the norm. Look at how many people said that they would not take a ML on a controlled hunt that allowed shotguns because they can shoot 3 shots with the shotgun. Then you have the opposite end of the spectrum, people who want to ban things that allow follow up shots, ha ha.

The old camp, I brought a couple guns that had Euro calibers, holy crap I got an ear full all week, did not matter to those jerks. In 2019 I told my dad I was leaving the shotgun at home and only bringing the side lock, I was going to limit my shots to 50 yards, he was all for it and actually pushed the bush slow for me to get that one and show that you can use "old tech" to do the job.

I do not think that this in the mindset of the majority of hunters though, that is why I said what I said, that is why the popularity is not there.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I managed to kill 2 coyotes out of a group of 5 and get 5 shots off in about half a minute with a single shot H&R slug hunter a few years ago. I got the first one of the bunch and the rest of the shots were at the others while they were running across a field.

If you keep your extra shells handy you can reload and shoot fairly quickly. I keep them in my right front jacket pocket and always take my mitt or gloves off to shoot. It's a quick easy movement from the pocket to the open chamber.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Thanks Sam I like this ...

"When hearing gun shots in the distance, guys in our camp jokingly conclude “1 shot - deer down, 2 shots - maybe, 3+ -buck fever!”

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Menard View Post
    In my biased opinion, the challenges of hunting with a single shot rifle is what makes it appealing. Follow up shots are not impossible, they just take a bit more time. With practice and easy access to spare ammo (e.g, using an ammo pouch), it can be done pretty quickly"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast