Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decoys

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Decoys

Good morning all!

My old decoys have pretty much had it. I'm looking for some suggestions on replacing them with something that isn't going to be overly
    expensive.

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba14 View Post
    Good morning all!

My old decoys have pretty much had it. I'm looking for some suggestions on replacing them with something that isn't going to be overly
    expensive.

Thanks in advance!
    I gave up on cheap decoys because they look cheap!
    i have 1 Avian-X hen that is super realistic, and well worth the money.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I agree with the above post. Not saying cheeper decoys don't work but what I am saying is the durability of a better decoy and the realism is worth the one time purchase. I do have a Avian X hen and bit less expensive H&S strut jake. The Avian X decoy still looks like when I first opened the box. Buy what you can afford
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Its true you get what you pay for. Truly believe realistic eyes and colouring can help, by how much I don't know. You have lots of time. Check out what looks good to you and relative prices. Then keep in mind around 2 weeks before the season should be able to find deals especially at big box stores. Also keep an eye on Kijiji there is always someone who buys all the latest stuff than realizes they have different interest and tries to unload that stuff. If you know your prices and able to negociate can get some good deals.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I have shot a pile of turkeys over my Bobbin' Head decoys. Did not cost me much, but they work well and pack down small enough to put in the back of my vest.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 410001661 View Post
    I have shot a pile of turkeys over my Bobbin' Head decoys. Did not cost me much, but they work well and pack down small enough to put in the back of my vest.
    I have some of those, getting old by even my standards I've added a few drain hole, but they still work great. I like the eating hens, work great in the bush with a slight breeze. Just enough movement.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 410001661 View Post
    Ya that's another consideration. A bit of movement does add another level of realism that a stationary decoy may not have.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Apprentice

User Info Menu

MikePal - Drain holes in a turkey decoy? Never heard of such a thing... Why would you need something like that? Guess you hunt in the rain alot. lol

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Buy some Dave Smith decoys and you'll never buy anything else again, buy once-cry once

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I have some of those, getting old by even my standards I've added a few drain hole, but they still work great. I like the eating hens, work great in the bush with a slight breeze. Just enough movement.
    Mine are not long for this world and have seen literally hundreds of hunts, but they get the job done and they do not owe me anything. The only thing I make sure of is:

- I make sure they are free of constraints and that they get some movement. Adjust the spring and nut on them so the heads bob naturally.
    - Every couple of years I re-paint the eyes black with model paint and then coat them with a nail polish so they get that shiny look to them.
    - I store them when not hunting stuffed with newspaper so that they keep their shape

Remember there are people out there creating new gadgets every day to separate you from your money that in the end do nothing other than fill your garage & not your tag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast