Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Foul mouth

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    Here's a word: Semantics.

If someone told you to eff-off, I think you wouldn't say, "it's just a word". At a minimum, you would likely wonder why that person said that to you. Most people would also be offended by that and get angry. On a forum, that often leads to a snowball effect of increasingly disrespectful exchanges.

These increasingly disrespectful exchanges have been occurring more and more often here, and usually it is not even caused by "swear words", although I have noticed a few instances where people have been jumbling the letters of swear words to get them past the filters, similar to what I did above. Usually it is caused by childish name calling, or just disrespectful responses. It's unnecessary and really takes away from the discussion. Personally, I think the underlying issue is that lately, the majority of threads are not even about outdoor topics, but rather about COVID/lockdown/politics/erosion of rights. Even threads that start off as an outdoor topic are being derailed so that then end up to be about those other topics. It's very tiresome. Maybe the stress of the current situation is starting to get to people, but the state of the forum is the worst I have seen it since I joined. We wouldn't need moderators to straighten things out if people were just respectful in the first place.
    You nailed it on all accounts, great post!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    Here's a word: Semantics.

If someone told you to eff-off, I think you wouldn't say, "it's just a word". At a minimum, you would likely wonder why that person said that to you. Most people would also be offended by that and get angry. On a forum, that often leads to a snowball effect of increasingly disrespectful exchanges.

These increasingly disrespectful exchanges have been occurring more and more often here, and usually it is not even caused by "swear words", although I have noticed a few instances where people have been jumbling the letters of swear words to get them past the filters, similar to what I did above. Usually it is caused by childish name calling, or just disrespectful responses. It's unnecessary and really takes away from the discussion. Personally, I think the underlying issue is that lately, the majority of threads are not even about outdoor topics, but rather about COVID/lockdown/politics/erosion of rights. Even threads that start off as an outdoor topic are being derailed so that then end up to be about those other topics. It's very tiresome. Maybe the stress of the current situation is starting to get to people, but the state of the forum is the worst I have seen it since I joined. We wouldn't need moderators to straighten things out if people were just respectful in the first place.
    Great post! We do need active moderators here. ASAP!
    TS

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TroutSlayer View Post
    Great post! We do need active moderators here. ASAP!
    Oh I already put in for the job to kinda balance the political atmosphere, I hope I can rely on your support?

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    Oh I already put in for the job to kinda balance the political atmosphere, I hope I can rely on your support?
    I'm there for ya pal!
    TS

Member for Life

User Info Menu

What did mom always say...... "If you can't say something nice, Don't say anything at all"

Those that say "they are just words" are just thinking about themselves.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    Me too lol.

Just no one sided stuff.

Keep it clean how do I vote lol.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The job of a moderator is simply to enforce the rules in an unbiased way. You won't get to "balance the political atmosphere".
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    The job of a moderator is simply to enforce the rules in an unbiased way. You won't get to "balance the political atmosphere".
    Oh well that rules me out ,now I just feel like the Donald. LOL

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    What did mom always say...... "If you can't say something nice, Don't say anything at all".
    No, that's not what she said. She said not to leave the house with dirty underwear in case you get in an accident.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Can we start with the words "citiots" and "snowflakes".
    ......but the labels are so fitting sometimes. My grandfather once said to me, "want to stop being called a snowflake........well stop acting like a snowflake"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast