Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendation for good winter boots

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I picked up a pair of Dunlop "oil rig boots" with my work boot allowance. I'll put them to the test this fall. Not sure how they're supposed to be so warm without a removable liner but the reviews say people "work all day in 40 below weather in Northern Alberta without cold feet" so we'll see.

The problem with temperature ratings is they're apparently not meant for sitting still.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

LaCrosse Alphaburly Pro Men’s Hunting Boots,800 GR Thinsulate.
    Excellent late deer hunting boots, and will do a great job in snow trekking too.
    Prime ankle support will give you nice walking many miles a day.

If i use snowshoes though,i use boots similar to what Trimmer21 recommended.Lighter model,medium warmth,but super easy on feet while snowshoeing.
    Last edited by gbk; March 18th, 2021 at 06:47 PM.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    I picked up a pair of Dunlop "oil rig boots" with my work boot allowance. I'll put them to the test this fall. Not sure how they're supposed to be so warm without a removable liner but the reviews say people "work all day in 40 below weather in Northern Alberta without cold feet" so we'll see.

The problem with temperature ratings is they're apparently not meant for sitting still.

I think the key to the warmth in those boots is the super-thick sole. I have Baffin IceBears which are similar but I think the Dunlops might be thicker
    “You have enemies ? Good. It means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life”: Winston Churchill

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 73hunter View Post
    I think the key to the warmth in those boots is the super-thick sole. I have Baffin IceBears which are similar but I think the Dunlops might be thicker
    Ok good to know, thanks! Been wearing them around the yard these past couple of days and they're definitely "grippy" and feel quite warm through the sole, which is were I usually get cold first (along with the toes).

I originally wanted the Baffin Icebears but they didn't have any and couldn't get any when I went in, so I opted for the Dunlops.

Not the norm for hunting boots but I get 180 bucks a year for boots and don't go through them that fast at work. I actually get supplied with Baffins (workhorse) and spend much of the day in -30 degree temperatures on concrete or on a forklift, and it's more a matter of managing sweat and socks than anything else, as it all seems to be with boots.

"where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    I picked up a pair of Dunlop "oil rig boots" with my work boot allowance. I'll put them to the test this fall. Not sure how they're supposed to be so warm without a removable liner but the reviews say people "work all day in 40 below weather in Northern Alberta without cold feet"

You’ve nailed it! You need to keep moving around (upper and lower body) in order for your feet to stay warm. I wouldn’t recommend them for standing around ice-fishing unless you had a shelter to retreat to.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123