Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a new decent flashlight

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Need a new decent flashlight

I lost my Maglite 2 D Cell and was about to replace it, found one on Amazon for 40 bucks LED.

It's 213 Leumens and can project a beam 464 meters.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1

But I started wondering if there is something better for the same price. Anyone know of a better LED flashlight for the same price something that projects even further and wider or is Maglite the way to go.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I'd be curious about the 464M beam distance. I've still got my 3D from 40 years ago, never failed yet.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Energizer and Coast also make good flashlight.
    I like things that all work on AA batteries.

I like this one as it fits in my Carhart side pocket, great tough light.
    https://www.batteryjunction.com/energizer-tuf2aape.html
    Last edited by Deer Hunter; January 24th, 2021 at 04:29 PM.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

One thing I have many of is flashlights. It's an item you really miss when you need it and don't have it. I've tried numerous different models and find this another case of "you get what you pay for". Personally if I'm in a situation where I need a light that I know will not fail I go for my Fenix. Check them out, you won't get one for $40 but they are tough. Fished mine out of 15 feet of water the day after I dropped it,.

The problem I find with most value lights is that they are great for the first two minutes before light output begins to wane.

The only issue I have with my Fenix light is that they generally don't take normal batteries. Rechargeable systems are most common and I'm horrible for losing cords and such and I can't swap batteries on the go should I run out of juice.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I've had good luck with the cyclops brand.

I see they have a small handheld at 1500 lumens

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Apprentice

User Info Menu

If you want to know about flashlights check this out. TC

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Energizer and Coast also make good flashlight.
    I like things that all work on AA batteries.

I like this one as it fits in my Carhart side pocket, great tough light.
    https://www.batteryjunction.com/energizer-tuf2aape.html
    I like the coast ones. 750 Lumen for about 50 bucks.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    I like the coast ones. 750 Lumen for about 50 bucks.
    This one

https://www.amazon.ca/Coast-Polystee...113399433&th=1

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I can't remember the brand but I've had great luck with the little metal black flashlights that run on 1 AA battery. They sometimes have a hat clip on them, usually no bigger than 3" or so. Near the checkout at Canadian Tire. Just make sure they're the 1 AA version, not the 3 AAA version.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I have three lights I use on a regular basis - all three and great flashlights.

Browning Catalyst: Switching sequence On - Off. Powered by two Lithium CR123 batteries. On extended run times I had this light get hot and shut off on a couple of occasions.......that is why I bought the Fenix. I primarily keep this on my boat during the summer. Water resistant.

Fenix PD30: Switch sequence - On high beam - on low beam - flashing - Off. Powered by two Lithium CR123 batteries. Very powerful and versatile unit. Water resistant.

ThirFire X001CYKPM7: Switch sequence - On high beam - on med beam - on low beam - on ultra low beam - Off. This light is my favorite and is usually with me when I hunt, go camping, or on a long hike. Powered by a single AA 3.6V Lithium battery. This unit is water resistant, small and compact, very bright, and long lasting. At work we have some sample equipment that uses 3.6V Lithium AA batteries so I had a pile of them kicking around and decided to pick up a flashlight that uses this battery and I could not have been more happy with the purchase.

The CR123's are also very common batteries and I get decent life out of them. I typically get them out of BestBuy and pay around $20 for 6 of them. I tried the rechargeable CR123 batteries and they start to suck really quickly.

Last edited by 410001661; January 25th, 2021 at 04:46 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast