Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lab puppy shortage

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

It’s not just labs and it’s not just Canada. There’s huge demand for any breed. Wait lists are much longer and prices have skyrocketed
    C.A. in TO
    FIDE CANEM ~ Trust the Dog

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

PM me. Let's chat!
    HR UH Wyckoff's RedRooted Mud Puppy JH WCX RN - Reba
    HR Markwell's Ups A Daisy JH WCI RN - Jada
    HR UH Tullamore's Gunsablazing CGN CDX SH WCX - Burly (2003-2017)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by C.A. in TO View Post
    It’s not just labs and it’s not just Canada. There’s huge demand for any breed. Wait lists are much longer and prices have skyrocketed
    Yes - prices have jumped about 4x in the last year. Beagles pups are now running 2000-2500.
    Best price you will get now is from the long-established kennels - the ones that used to be most expensive, strangely enough.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    Yes - prices have jumped about 4x in the last year. Beagles pups are now running 2000-2500.
    Best price you will get now is from the long-established kennels - the ones that used to be most expensive, strangely enough.
    Another lab person and I were talking about this. We have noticed a few people who may not have a long standing track record post plans for an upcoming litter with exorbitant pricing attached. It's a bit of a question mark, to put it politely. If you're a good breeder, breeding for all the right reasons (because you have a good example of the breed with a proven track record of performance, either formally or simply a bang up huntin' dawg) paired with a potential mate that brings similar characteristics to the table, once you get all your clearances to ensure you're doing your best to ensure you are putting healthy, structurally sound puppies on the ground, you aren't MAKING money. You're lucky if you cover your out of pocket costs on the vet bills, clearances, and care. You'll never recoup the funds spent on entry fees or hunting funds spent, never mind mileage. A good breeder wants to ensure the breed they love carries on for generations to come exhibiting those traits that make that breed great. While we ABSOLUTELY all start somewhere, it's usually pretty obvious who arrives on the scene simply to pump out puppies and make a buck. While I can't ever imagine my life without a dog, I know I want my next puppy to have been planned thoughtfully and carefully so I know she will hopefully lead a long and healthy life. Our stud dog lived to be into his 17th year. His lineage is in my living room as I type. Cross your fingers those amazing genes keep surfacing to the top as long as possible <3

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BurlyGirl View Post
    Another lab person and I were talking about this. We have noticed a few people who may not have a long standing track record post plans for an upcoming litter with exorbitant pricing attached. It's a bit of a question mark, to put it politely. If you're a good breeder, breeding for all the right reasons (because you have a good example of the breed with a proven track record of performance, either formally or simply a bang up huntin' dawg) paired with a potential mate that brings similar characteristics to the table, once you get all your clearances to ensure you're doing your best to ensure you are putting healthy, structurally sound puppies on the ground, you aren't MAKING money. You're lucky if you cover your out of pocket costs on the vet bills, clearances, and care. You'll never recoup the funds spent on entry fees or hunting funds spent, never mind mileage. A good breeder wants to ensure the breed they love carries on for generations to come exhibiting those traits that make that breed great. While we ABSOLUTELY all start somewhere, it's usually pretty obvious who arrives on the scene simply to pump out puppies and make a buck. While I can't ever imagine my life without a dog, I know I want my next puppy to have been planned thoughtfully and carefully so I know she will hopefully lead a long and healthy life. Our stud dog lived to be into his 17th year. His lineage is in my living room as I type. Cross your fingers those amazing genes keep surfacing to the top as long as possible <3
    Great points My Ma has bred Shelties my whole life. She has Can/Amer champions over and over. Nothing fires her up more, than hearing so and so just bought a doodlesnickers for 4k....... I can't believe when I'm bored and surfing kijiji, mixed mutts for 3-5k.....but....I guess uneducated people are buying them? I think my Mom's price for a puppy every other year is still the same as 25 yrs ago.....she's definitely never "made" money
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LiveBates View Post
    Great points My Ma has bred Shelties my whole life. She has Can/Amer champions over and over. Nothing fires her up more, than hearing so and so just bought a doodlesnickers for 4k....... I can't believe when I'm bored and surfing kijiji, mixed mutts for 3-5k.....but....I guess uneducated people are buying them? I think my Mom's price for a puppy every other year is still the same as 25 yrs ago.....she's definitely never "made" money
    I understand exactly how your Ma feels! I love all dogs -- mutts, well bred ones, doesn't matter. Dogs are awesome. It's the people attached to them that can frustrate me. People who are just out to make a buck and are preying on people who have soft hearts and maybe aren't terribly informed? Unethical. Especially with covid finding many people at home and wanting dogs, so many people are taking advantage of this predicament and want to tap into the inflated market demand to make a buck. But will those "breeders" provide support to their puppy people when they have questions, encounter issues, and in general need a knowledgeable dog person who understands their breed and this pedigree? Most won't. And that's shameful. My puppies go home crate trained, close to house trained, exposed to feathers, live birds, gun shots, car rides, a variety of sounds and experiences. While most people may not do everything I do, I know the good breeders try to socialize their puppies and safely expose them to what they can to try and prepare them for the world and what it can throw at them. Give me a breeder who does their research and makes effort over someone just trying to make a quick buck any day.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They just had an expose on the telly a few weeks ago of all these dogs that are advertised in KIJIJI and so forth and they are actually being flown in from the Ukraine, one of a few overseas suppliers. Dogs fully misrepresented for blood line's, vaccinations ,and general health ,basically dog's from puppy mills and even some of the vet papers were phoney. Very few to no government regulations for flying these dogs into the country.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Don't necessarily just look at the cost , the work involved in a quality breeding is underestimated. Buyer beware, do your homework. . Adding to the cost significantly is the veterinarian costs, they have climbed steadily over the last few years.
    "Without Proper Management Wild Life Becomes Your Next Hood Ornament"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I know a couple of breeders and most of their litters are sold before they are born. I know one of Lola's dogs just had a litter , not sure if they're spoken for or not. She has a top notch line. TC

http://maktawaelabradors.weebly.com/

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

belleriver, my condolences it takes a long time for the pain to go away if ever. I lost my boy of 11 years 17 months ago and still shed a tear now and then and think of him everyday. I now have a lovely girl who just turned 13 months that I have had since she was 8 weeks. She helps, but you still think of the one you lost, especially when the new one does things the old one did.

Again sorry for your loss.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast