Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Tailed Duck, Where to Hunt?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Long Tailed Duck, Where to Hunt?

Hello,

It's been a while since I made a thread. I go on regular walks along the waterfront trail in Toronto. I see a lot of Long tailed ducks there. After admiring their beauty, I started asking myself how do they taste? 🤔 lol.

Has anyone had experience hunting Long tailed duck, where are some recommended areas to hunt.

Like always any mentors have the time for inexperienced hunters like myself to tag along just message me.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Take a Cormorant, Red-breasted or Common Merganser, add two cups of blue-green algae and two cups of ground up zebra mussels, and that pretty much describes what they taste like. I've never tasted anything worse. They are barely edible even in a curry dish. Eiders and scoters are candy compared to these. I'll never shoot another one. Don't see the sense in killing something I can't eat. Also from an ethics point, their global population numbers are in trouble, as are all of the sea ducks (scoters, eiders). I enjoy watching them decoy and bounce when they land. Beautiful bird to watch. Presquille, Wellers Bay, West Lake are all good spots to see good fall numbers of them.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    Take a Cormorant, Red-breasted or Common Merganser, add two cups of blue-green algae and two cups of ground up zebra mussels, and that pretty much describes what they taste like. I've never tasted anything worse. They are barely edible even in a curry dish. Eiders and scoters are candy compared to these. I'll never shoot another one. Don't see the sense in killing something I can't eat. Also from an ethics point, their global population numbers are in trouble, as are all of the sea ducks (scoters, eiders). I enjoy watching them decoy and bounce when they land. Beautiful bird to watch. Presquille, Wellers Bay, West Lake are all good spots to see good fall numbers of them.
    C'mon Fenelon, everyone knows that you need a 4:1 ratio of zebra mussels to algae, I would have thought that was like knowing to add salt at the end of cooking to enhance their flavor.
    John

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnjyb View Post
    C'mon Fenelon, everyone knows that you need a 4:1 ratio of zebra mussels to algae, I would have thought that was like knowing to add salt at the end of cooking to enhance their flavor.
    John
    Okay so Long Tailed Duck is off the menu because of the bad �� taste lol ��

They still look like a fun and challenging hunt.

Found a YouTube vid: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yHNVd4...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by BlueBoard15; February 14th, 2021 at 05:26 PM.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    I’d buy your cook book, lol! Great description.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBoard15 View Post

There's not too much of a challenge to hunt them. You can throw out any decoy you want (Mallards, Bluebill, Goldeneye). They are not wary and just come straight in to the decoys. I never saw much sport to it, and after eating the first ones I shot, I'll pass on hunting them ever again.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBoard15 View Post

If you haven't seen the Angler and hunter episode on Long tail hunting might give you and idea of where and how to hunt them, even a recipe to utilzie them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYxj3_rc8jE
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Marinate it right and it could taste really good.

marinate overnight, and cook with alot of vegies and Pomegranate paste. tastes and fells kinda like liver.
    CCFR, OFAH Member
    Its all about the Journey

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Challenging to hunt? Umm, not really ... stop the boat, stand up and waive your arms, they will come over to see what you are ... I have likely shot as many of them without any decoys set and I have with decoys set. As for taste, the dog loves them, but I have to air out the house after cooking.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Hello Blue Board 15,

I hunted them at Presqu'ile from 1986 to 2003 ... a very cooperative duck when other ducks do not decoy to your spread as I could usually count on them to make my trip worthwhile in November and December ... missed hunting them.

I never had an issue with how they tasted ... better than Bluebills, Goldeneyes, Buffleheads and the rest of the ducks that have been mentioned ... so try them skinned and breasted out.

Jerome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast