Thread: Recent .250 savage/.257 Roberts chamberings

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Recent .250 savage/.257 Roberts chamberings

I recently came across a used browning blr in .257 Roberts. A long time fan of blr’s and the .25’s, I was not aware it was ever offered by browning. Remington offered the 700 mountain rifle in .257 Roberts also briefly some 25 years ago, and the two fit like a glove. A google search shows savage offered several configurations of the model 16 bolt in .250 savage for a bit as recently as ‘09. Kimber apparently may still offer both .25 chamberings at least by special order.

Is anyone aware of any other recent offerings (last 2-3 decades) for either of these fine rounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlife View Post
    I recently came across a used browning blr in .257 Roberts. A long time fan of blr’s and the .25’s, I was not aware it was ever offered by browning. Remington offered the 700 mountain rifle in .257 Roberts also briefly some 25 years ago, and the two fit like a glove. A google search shows savage offered several configurations of the model 16 bolt in .250 savage for a bit as recently as ‘09. Kimber apparently may still offer both .25 chamberings at least by special order.

Is anyone aware of any other recent offerings (last 2-3 decades) for either of these fine rounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fine chamberings indeed!

Kimber is the only riflemaker I know that builds and carries stock of 257 Roberts. Chuck hawks and a few others were really pushing Henry arms to chamber their long ranger in the 257 Bob, not sure if this is still a maybe but if it happens, I'd have one in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Cooper makeas .257 Roberts and .250 Savage and the AI versions of both.
    I have a Model 16 bolt in .250 Ackley and a Remington 700 Classic in .250 Savage. Both are excellent rifles.
    The 700 was a limited edition in1984; they also did a run of .257 R0berts in 1982 and a run of Roberts in the CDL SS fluted about 2010 for the 75th anniversary of the Roberts. I had one but sold it.
    Ruger offered the Roberts in their Hawkeye for years; I had two of those; I rather regret selling them, lol! They were still chambering it as a standard rifle until about 5 years ago.
    I don't currently own a Roberts, but I have three .250 Savages; that and the .280 Rem are my favourite cartridges.

When my buddy Pete gets tired of his Winchester 70 Featherweight Roberts I'll likely buy it. I've owned two of those previously but couldn't make them shoot terribly well.
    Over the years I've owned a half-dozen Robertses and about 10 .250 Savages and I have found the .250 to be much easier to find a good accurate load for.

I checked the Cooper website. Yes, they do sell the .250-3000, .250 Ackley, .257 Roberts and .257 Roberts Ackley. They are expensive rifles but come with a half-minute guarantee, which equates to groups of about an inch or less at 200 yards.
    Last edited by Kilo Charlie; March 7th, 2021 at 06:17 PM. Reason: new info

Member for Life

User Info Menu

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/fi...bly-never-shot

Had this one come across the news feed today. Can't say I disagree with any of the article.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?